Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Minimun power required to evaporate black paint with laser?

Posted by Coyote_ar 
Minimun power required to evaporate black paint with laser?
April 29, 2015 11:17PM
Hey everyone, so i want to build a small 2 axis machine, to make PCBs as the one seen on this video.

[www.youtube.com]

But id like to keep the cost low, so i'd like to try to avoid expensive lasers CO2 lasers, and the mirrors they require.

So is it possible to use a 2w blue laser diode to evaporate paint? i dont mind going slow, high productivity is not a requirement. I just want to have the job done, and keep it simple. I know 2w lasers can cut paper, do some light engraving on plastics, and even cut leather. I found some info here in similar threads, but nothing specific.

Also i dont understand much about the wavelenght and how that affects the laser output.

Something like this one will do?
http://www.amazon.com/445nm-Diode-Copper-Module-Element/dp/B00HFHJBDI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430273406&sr=8-4&keywords=laser%20diode&tag=viglink26635-20

Your advice is really appreciated, regards.
VDX
Re: Minimun power required to evaporate black paint with laser?
April 30, 2015 04:18AM
... I'm doing this with the 2W-diodes regularly, but for black paint you can go away with lower powers too when drawing slower ... the first successfull test were performed with red- and UV-diodes, extracted from optical drives and max. powers of 300mW only.

But - the more power, the better winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 30, 2015 12:49PM
Thats awesome news man, thanks. I will be buying the laser from amazon, so i dont see a point on going with lower power.

How fast can you go with the 2w laser?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 12:49PM by Coyote_ar.
VDX
May 01, 2015 11:25AM
... I'm engraving with up to 50mm/s and cutting with around 10mm/s - depends on material and desired accuracy when engraving fine details - above 50mm/s the mechanics (mostly the long Z-axis) starts to 'wobble' with sharp accelerations ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login