Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie looking for hobby, possibly more

Posted by BroknArrw 
Newbie looking for hobby, possibly more
May 20, 2016 11:09PM
Looking to get into Glass etching. Thinking Wine bottles, coffee mugs, flat Glass. I need a hobby and glass interest me. Think it would be cool to etch scenes or sports onto Wine bottles or cheese boards from slumped Glass.
Wondering what type of machine might be good for a starter.
Thanks
Re: Newbie looking for hobby, possibly more
May 21, 2016 12:39AM
You are looking at an investmet of about 1000-4000$ depending on what manufacurer you choose.
Basic 40W CO2 laser, plus rotary attachment or motorised rollers.
Flat glass can be done with a 500$ chinese knock-off.
Depending on what you actually want to etch it might be faster, cheaper and easier to use stencils and these nice acid mixes.
Will give you much finer details too as the glass is actually eroded instead of being chipped and shattered by a laser.
Especially for fragile glasses I would definately prefer acid etching over any laser.
VDX
May 21, 2016 03:01AM
... I've engraved glass with a 445nm@2W-diode too - sprayed the surface with black paint and engraved the paint -- while evaporating the paint, the temperature in the spot is enough to melt the surface under the coating ... otherwise the 445nm-light will simply shine through the glass ..

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 21, 2016 09:12AM
VDX
... I've engraved glass with a 445nm@2W-diode too - sprayed the surface with black paint and engraved the paint -- while evaporating the paint, the temperature in the spot is enough to melt the surface under the coating ... otherwise the 445nm-light will simply shine through the glass ..
Nice one smiling smiley
May 22, 2016 02:42AM
The black paint was under the glass or on top?

THX
Olaf
May 22, 2016 03:42AM
Obviously on top as otherwise you would just burn the paint off the underside.
VDX
May 22, 2016 04:08AM
... I've used in on top - but could be worth a test with "shining through" the glass and evaporating the paint on the bottom too ... could give finer molten traces winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login