deep cutting wood
October 01, 2016 09:46AM
I have not seen this question and am hoping that someone might be able to provide an answer.

A client wants me to laser a sign made of wood (California redwood). He has had signs in the past made using a router and has not been pleased. However he does like the "deep" grooves that the routers make.

In the past I have made deep laser cuts using a series of passes. Unfortunately in some cases the surrounding surface wood was scorched.

Am I better off reducing the number of passes by increasing the power and reducing the speed, or am I better off using the normal settings and making more passes? Also, will masking the top of the wood help or hinder the process?
Re: deep cutting wood
October 01, 2016 01:52PM
Look at how the material is removed
Laser burns (scorches) off material --- does not shear off material

Perhaps air (nitrogen) assist (high pressure)
but burn wood in abscence of oxygen = charcoal

Surface sanding will rid the scorch from outside the letter

Show me a wood laser cut that is not burned black

spray paint --- surface sand

philr
. Unfortunately in some cases the surrounding surface wood was scorched.

confused smiley
VDX
October 01, 2016 04:09PM
... look in the video here - [vimeo.com]

I've engraved with lower power (shorter pulses) and only minimal fume traces ... and before cutting with highest power I've coated the wood with package tape to prevent fuming ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 01, 2016 10:00PM
VDX
what laser what machine

what is gieLAS?

confused smiley
VDX
October 02, 2016 12:10PM
... the lasrdiode is a blue 3.5W-diode, but it's nearly the same with a 2W-diode.

The machine is a "refurbished" CNC-mill - but I'm using (refurbished and DIY-built) several other machines too, even 3D-printers ....

My companies name is "Gie-Tec", so I've named the laser module "gieLAS" -- and a heavy modified Pronterface with special plugins for pastedispensing (and laserengraving) "gieCAPS" winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login