Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

adding a laser cutter to a CoreXY

Posted by Nylkos 
adding a laser cutter to a CoreXY
January 21, 2017 12:12AM
Has the title says, I am currently building a CoreXY and I would like to add a laser cutter/engraver. I would require information and suggestions on the laser to go with...

What I want is engraving /cutting 2-3mm plywood and transparent acrylic. I will be using a Duet WIFI.

Only one thing, I do not want a CO2 laser, I have considered it and would prefer getting experience prior to start using the invisible CO2 lasers.

From contradictory sources...

And if you guys have a source with good info please link it... I found a single models of diodes that can run 1-10-30-100 Watts....

Thank you for your help
Re: adding a laser cutter to a CoreXY
January 21, 2017 03:39AM
Diode lasers don't cut ( transparent ) acrylic stuff. They are good to engrave all sorts of organic material like wood, leather and non transparent plastics.
January 21, 2017 01:19PM
so for cutting it's CO2 or nothing?

For CO2 laser what kind of shielding would contain the laser (that can be installed around the machine itself)

Thank you
VDX
January 21, 2017 05:27PM
... for clear/transparent acrylic you'll need a CO2 laser - dark/black dyed acrylic can be engraved and cut with the "blue" 445nm diodes, which are available in powers with 2W, 3,5W and 6W -- the 2W and 3,3W-diodes would be better suited for their smaller emitter and so smaller focus diameter in short focal distances too.

Shielding for/against CO2 lasers can be done with clear or coloured acrylic or glass - the 10640nm wavelength won't pass clear materials ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 22, 2017 10:49AM
Thank you for the intel.

I have been looking and I recently learned (CoreXY project) that I require all the info prior to starting.

Do you guys know a good website with sufficient information on CO2 laser for the mounting, security, consumables,...

Also if you know a good and reliable online store would be appreciated.

Thank you
January 25, 2017 02:54PM
For building a co2 laser machine, [buildlog.net] would be a good start.

[www.lightobject.com] for parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 02:55PM by stephenrc.
June 20, 2017 09:01AM
for engraving on transparent acrylic and plywood you would need 2.1W or 3.5W lasers.
you may check out Endurance lasers for that...

We change the world by bringing affordable and open - source technologies

Click here to login