Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2.5w - 15w diode laser cutter kits

Posted by Theman 
2.5w - 15w diode laser cutter kits
March 12, 2017 11:21PM
G'day everyone. Newbie here, with a big question, and hopefully to contribute in the future.
So I've got a Chinese Cnc router (x61500gt) and works great. Does what it needs to with limitations. I've got a FLSUN Delta 3D printer. Same thing - works great for what I want it for though with limitations.

And now it's time for a laser cutter/engraver.

Purpose: engrave timber, cut thin timber (let's say 6mm max - pretty much things too small for the cnc router. And maybe cut Perspex.

So at first I was almost going to buy one of those $100 NEJE 1w laser etchers. But it's working area is 38x38mm. So while it would do what I want it for, I feel I may as well get something a bit bigger. So...here two examples of what I'm considering.
[m.gearbest.com]
[www.ebay.com.au]

Has anyone used a similar laser cutter? Can you give your experience? I have seen videos where the 5.5w laser cuts ply with multiple passes. So I assume it's possible. But I've heard these diodes are overclocked to get that rating of power therefore shortening its life considerably. Would the 10-15w diodes be the same story? And I noticed the smaller diode sizes state they have adjustable focus where as the 10-15w diodes don't. Does that mean I have to adjust the height of the working piece rather than turn a focal knob?
Not too keen on getting a co2 laser. I'd rather stick with a small diode setup.

But over to you. Experiences? Thoughts? Suggestions? Slander? Lol

Thankyou
VDX
Re: 2.5w - 15w diode laser cutter kits
March 13, 2017 05:41AM
... I'm cutting 4mm plywood with a 3,5W@445nm-diode in several passes ... for even thicker wood material you'll need a CO2-lasercutter.

And your links don't work for me - either 404 or not specified data format ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 13, 2017 03:56PM
Oh. Sorry. Not sure why the links don't work. Just search for 5500mw laser cutter on AliExpress or eBay. And 15w laser cutter. So if your getting 4mm done with a 3.5w, I would think 5.5w would do 6 mm? Am I wrong? Does yours focus or not?
March 13, 2017 04:53PM
[m.banggood.com]

Also Thankyou VXD for helping me with my 3D printer last year. I sorta feel like a 5500mw laser should work, but I'm not sure about the claims of these lasers being overpowered and hence shortening their life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 05:02PM by Theman.
VDX
March 13, 2017 06:57PM
... I've tested the difference between 3,5W and 6,5W diodes - the 3,5W is much better suited for engraving and fine cuts -- the 6,5W has a smallest spot diameter of nearly double size, so lesser energy density, but can cut a bit faster for the wider cut ... but too with different cutting widths in X and Y - so you have to "defocus" it and make the bad/big spot diameter even bigger.
In my opinion it's not worth the higher price for the 6,5W diode eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

March 13, 2017 07:13PM
Sorry where do I find 3.5w and 6.5w kits? I can only see 1w 2.5w 5.5w 10w 12w and 15w
VDX
March 14, 2017 04:16AM
... here the 6W diode - [www.lasertack.com]

and here the 3,5W-diode - [www.lasertack.com]

Can you link me to the 10-15W modules (and prices)?

Viktor
--------

VDX
March 14, 2017 04:27AM
... found the "15W-diode" -- it seems, this is simply an overdriven 6,5W-diode - they are specified for up to 7W continuous with pretty good cooling, so the specs of the "15W-diode" with 15W pulsed or 8W cotinuous will fit roughly eye rolling smiley

I'm driving my diodes with max. 90% of the stated max power to get better life-times ... but with "overdriving" them, they will give much more power, but will die off pretty fast too sad smiley

Viktor
--------

March 14, 2017 05:01PM
Ah I see. Yeah I'm not looking for a diode by itself. I really want a full kit. Ok so I should be looking at the continuous power rating then aim to use up to 90% of that power rating? What about having adjustable focus? Is this a neseccity? Or just a gimmick? I hope the dodgy Chinese software they provide allows me to adjust the power output.
VDX
March 14, 2017 05:56PM
... with the 445nm-diodes I'm adjusting the focus distance mostly between 15mm and 35mm to get best results - the shorter, the finer ... something around 0.07mm with the 2W-diodes and around 0.1mm with the 3,5W diodes -- with longer distances the focus will become distorted to a line or oval instead of a round spot ...

Viktor
--------

March 25, 2017 03:54AM
I killed my "M140" 2W LD yesterday and went shopping for a new one.
I followed VDX's link: [www.lasertack.com] and was surprised to see a Diode with housing for 339€ eye popping smiley

I already have this housing and I can get 4 different LDs with 3.5W - 4.3W from 50US$ -90US$. NUBM05-NUBM08
My LD driver supports Diodes up to 3W ( 3A max. ) and I killed my 2W LD with adjusting current to high.
Would it be better to use a 3.5W LD and run it at 3A max? My printer is to slow to use the extra 0.5W anyway.

There is also a 2W "M462" LD with a smaller dot than the legendary M140.
I'm tempted to use both: 2W for cutting and 3.5W for faster grayscale engraving ( bigger dot allows less pixel/mm )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 04:04AM by o_lampe.
VDX
March 25, 2017 04:33AM
Hi Olaf,

as you already have the housing, you can buy a single 2W (or 3.5W) diode and replace it - [www.lasertack.com]

I'm buying them with housings for new to build customer modules ... but have severals housings too - so only sourcing the diodes for my own modules ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login