Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Banggood laser modules: fact or crap?

Posted by av8r1 
Banggood laser modules: fact or crap?
June 10, 2017 06:03PM
I have access to some CO2 lasers at my makerspace, but I can only make the trip in 2 days a week. I'd like to have a little machine myself for my little side business manufacturing wooden key fobs, and I think a little 2.5W blue laser will do the job. Banggood has some for ~$70 American, and I haven't seen a definitive yea or nay on these. Thoughts?

They have whole engraver kits available as well, but I've got the necessary parts lying around from building 3D printers, I can toss a gantry together.
Re: Banggood laser modules: fact or crap?
June 11, 2017 03:21AM
By not providing a link to a module, you expect us to judge "all" laser modules on banggood?
I would ask for the diode that is used in it and then compare the rated output with findings from the US-laser diode Guru "dtr". Or buy your modules from him.
VDX
June 11, 2017 06:29AM
... the "crappy" thing with this cheap laser-modules and -engravers are the drivers, which are mostly overdriven or not stable enough to drive the diodes without over-current spikes when switching ON/OFF.

If you DIY or find a good driver (and the correct specs of the diode), than any diode will do ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 11, 2017 12:43PM
VDX
June 11, 2017 01:00PM
... replace the crappy constant current circuit inside the diode housing, then this could be OK ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

VDX
June 11, 2017 01:04PM
.. and ... this statement is nonsense!

Working Temperature -40-75℃

Sound ambient temperatures are more like 19 - 25 °C, and you should avoid heating the diode housing above 30°C !

Viktor
--------

June 12, 2017 02:14PM
Browsing that "dtr" site, these 2.5 watt lasers are reaching dangerously close in price to a 40 watt CO2 system from LightObject. I'm looking to get this done for around E3Dv6 money,

So what makes a good vs crappy diode driver? What do I look for?
VDX
June 12, 2017 05:46PM
av8r1
So what makes a good vs crappy diode driver? What do I look for?

... not only, but often -- the price ... don't expect to get a quality product for pea-nuts eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

June 12, 2017 11:01PM
Okay, Viktor doesn't have any useful advice. Anyone know anything about constant current power supplies?
VDX
June 13, 2017 03:30AM
... did you read the related topics here, in the "Laser Cutter Working Group"?

There are a lot of infos regarding CC-drivers or links to sources of them.

Here is an old wiki, where I've collected some of the basic infos related to lasers - [reprap.org]

You have already seen the DTR-site, so here another from Germany - [www.lasertack.com]

But, without specifying your entry base, it's on you to find and filter the infos, fitting your need ...

Viktor
--------

June 20, 2017 08:30AM
there is another alternative lasers from Endurance.

powerful and offer an ultimate support for customers unlike Chinese guys)))

We change the world by bringing affordable and open - source technologies
June 23, 2017 03:38AM
we made this comparison tests: [www.youtube.com]

We change the world by bringing affordable and open - source technologies

Click here to login