Recommended software/firmware?
April 12, 2020 08:16PM
I've just set up my new 3018 CNC/laser cutter. It came with Grbl firmware which I upgraded to the latest version, so I'm currently using LaserGrbl software to control it. But I'm wondering if there is better software and/or firmware out there? For example, I see people here talking about Marlin, but I wasn't aware that was suitable for CNC milling and laser cutting. And presumably Grbl-oriented software won't talk to that? Are people using something like e.g. Octopi for offline operation?

Is there somewhere I can go to find out what the software/firmware options are, and the pros and cons?
VDX
Re: Recommended software/firmware?
April 13, 2020 04:23AM
... I'm using Marlin4Due with some of my laser-engravers/cuters with a modified Pronterface-variant, called "gieCAPS" (here some threads about)

All of my drivers (laser, pastedispensing, CNC) are modified to work with pulses - but not common PWM, but the speed-synchronous extruder-steps.

So with "G0" moves the machine moves without, "G1" moves with laser pulsing ... the power is set by pulse-length and "pulses per mm" or the "E"-value in the G-code ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login