Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A question about safety goggles

Posted by David J 
A question about safety goggles
June 13, 2020 08:17AM
I have just placed an order with BangGood for a 2500mW laser module, with a beam of 445nm. While this makes its way slowly from China (3 or 4 weeks, apparently) I now have time to think about safety goggles.

But I'm puzzled - the safety goggles usually sold with blue lasers are green - shouldn't they be an opposite colour to blue, such as dark yellow, or red? I would have thought that green was a bit too close to blue in the spectrum...

Also, I wear glasses so I need to consider if the usual safety specs will go over my existing frames. sigh...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2020 08:18AM by David J.
VDX
Re: A question about safety goggles
June 13, 2020 02:11PM
... best shielding against the 450nm is done typically with orange or red goggles -- but they should be made/modified exactly for this wavelength! - so ask for appropriate infos from the vendors or drop them for another, which will have eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2020 02:11PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 13, 2020 02:45PM
That's what I thought! I wasn't going to buy the Banggood green ones anyway - I value my eyes.

I'm now trying to find a UK supplier that shows a decent specification for their products, with a not-too-silly price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2020 02:46PM by David J.
June 16, 2020 06:22AM
Well, I'm struggling to find a UK supplier - either they're 'industrial grade' and won't talk to individuals, or they just won't communicate... The places that are easy to deal with are all selling Chinese safety specs... and I'm wary.

So it looks like I'll be ordering a pair from the US of A to get a certified standard - probably the 'Eagle Pair' slip-over type. Unfortunately the postage is half the cost of the specs themselves! I do have one question/concern though - their orange goggles look like they're exactly what I want, but they do warn that they are no good if there's any IR component in the beam. The Banggood specs are unsurprisingly minimal and give no indication - not even they type of laser diode installed.

Does anyone have any experience of these laser modules? Will the orange specs be OK, or do I have to go for another type?

TIA,
David
VDX
June 16, 2020 07:00AM
Hi David,

the common blue laserdiode-modules didn't emit any IR radiation (this was the case with green DPSS lasers).

You can test the "shielding effect" with pointing the beam (at low power) onto a white paper sheet, then put the goggles between -- the laserbeam should be stopped totally! ... a faint orange glow could be visible as some "second radiation" from fluorescence or such ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 16, 2020 07:22AM
Thanks.

That's what I suspected, but there's no real substitute for knowledge and experience! smiling smiley

Now off to spend some money...

Regards,
David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login