Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

awesome Kinect 3d real time scanning software check it out it auto makes STL files.

Posted by ErikVonVicious 
so this was a reply in the thread below but I thought since that was a question my answer would proably not get too many views. this is pretty cool so I thought I would share.

so Im making a light duty CNC/3d printer and wanted to add a 3d scanner so I could reproduce items, out of a stroke of luck I found this guy who is making software that uses a kinect to make a real time 3d model of anything, not only is it super fast but what amazed me was that it refines the model the more it sees the object. you really have to see it to believe it. you dont even have to place it on a turn table or in a special set up corner like dave3d, in another of his videos he walks around with the kinect and it maps his whole desk in ever increasing detail.

[reconstructme.net]

[www.youtube.com]

the guy just sent me a message that now they are taking beta testers... you can go to his site above or his blog to find out more but I think his demo videos kinda speak for themselves on how awesome this is.

its exactly what we all have been waiting for and it outputs just a standard STL file that can be imported into any CAD or 3d modeler software...
Re: awesome Kinect 3d real time scanning software check it out it auto makes STL files.
January 26, 2012 10:30AM
That is very cool progress in the machine vision department. As I understand it though, the Kinect won't be useful for small items near the camera until the PC version comes out. That is reportedly optimized for sensing the area in front of a monitor, instead of a whole room in front of a television.
everything Ive read says the only hardware difference in "kinect for windows" is a shorter USB cord/non orange kinect plug, and that it has kinect written on it instead of Xbox 360, the "Near Mode" is believed to be just a new firmware feature. I belive that to be correct since the new one can switch back and forth to work in the normal "far mode" we are used to, yet there are no physically movable lenses to facilitate that switch and inspection of the windows version shows its lenses look exactly the same. ( there is a 25$ Nyko adapter you can buy to reduce its range which is a set of 3 lenses) also I dont think the IR projector can reconfigure the projected point cloud at will, so if it could all the math the kinect does with that point cloud would be different. I also dont see microsoft spending much more money making a new second line of internal hardware. yet on the other hand they are charging 250 for the windows version but most people think that is because they know the hardare will not be subsidised by 60 dollar xbox games which reduce the current hardware cost enough to hit the 150 dollar mark.

I guess we wont see for sure for another week when the windows version and first non beta sdk comes out on feb 2nd. if it is ideed just firmware as many belive it will certainly be ported back to the xbox sensor wether microsft wants it to or not.
I think it would be a dumb move for MS to try and cut off the pc for owneres who alerady have an Xbox version since that is 100% of owners at this point, and I dont see anyone buying a $250 kinect to replace one they already have at nearly half that cost.
that would also fracture and alienate any developer/research group/school that currently writes software for the xbox kinect, or force them to re write sections of their code... probably not going to happen.
Possible Kinect group buy:

[forums.reprap.org]

thumbs up
This is a surprisingly dead thread considering the topic at hand here.

Good, simple, easy to find hardware, that can comprise a cheap 3d scanner? This seems too cool. And the software spits out .STLs? If I had a kinect I'd get on the beta.
Re: awesome Kinect 3d real time scanning software check it out it auto makes STL files.
February 14, 2013 02:15PM
I tried to get reconstructme to work with 3 different computers using an Asus Xtion (becasue it was less costly than the Kinect,) but apparently all 3 computers are not up to snuff OpenCL- wise and reconstructme will not run.

Just my experience.

Roy
roygpa,
I had the same problem, but I downloaded the OLD VERSION of Skanect and it works, at least I can get some result with a used xbox Kinect bought from Ebay,
not sure if OpenCL enabled gpu's are standard now or if its just for gaming type cards.

Random Precision
Has anyone got kinect to work on Android tablets without a ridiculous amount of work ? I have a Tegra 3 graphics processor if that helps. It would be nice to run everything portable.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login