How about a true cloning machine?
March 07, 2009 12:16AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but here it goes...

How about a reprap machine used in conjunction with a 3-d scanner such as DAVID?

This would allow cloning of any part you want. just scan it into the computer, save the file as an STL, convert the file to G-code and print it out on the reprap. The DAVID machine costs 359 euros right now, but there are others out there (homemade versions) for as little as $90 American.

I'm new to reprapping. I have a 90% done McWire sitting in my living room, and I'm just thinking of some more possibilities. I know it kind of goes against the whole Darwin and natural selection thing, but what the heck. I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2009 12:21AM by jrb9406.
Re: How about a true cloning machine?
March 07, 2009 01:11AM
I don't think that the combination of a reprap machine and a 3D scanner has escaped anybody's attention. This puppy is going to be selling in the Fall for about $295.

[www.real-view3d.com]

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
March 10, 2009 06:49AM
Also, thats actually pretty much what my PhD (now 1 week in) is going to be about: adding 3d scanning software and hardware to the Reprap suite. Hopefully, I'll be able to design the hardware to be printed by the Reprap as well.

At the moment I'm thinking of a toolhead with a mount for a generic digital camera or webcam which then feeds pictures/movies into the software.

Along with an internet connection you then have a one button 3d fax/photocopier if you wish.
March 10, 2009 09:34AM
That sounds pretty interesting. I figured it must have crossed somebody's mind, but I haven't seen anything written about it yet.

Good luck with your PhD!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login