Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scanning turntable

Posted by Replace 
Scanning turntable
September 23, 2014 02:16AM
I am considering building a scanning turntable from the spare parts I have after building a few 3d printers.
I have motors, Pulleys, Belts, Arduino and ramps and a lot of hardware. as well as a PrimeSense 3d scanner/camera.

So My idea is to build a Rostock-like tower (as Z-axis) on which a carriage (belt driven) carries the primesense.
The tower will be mounted to a circular, gear driven, turn table. (Gear driven to skip the need for a closed loop belt)

I will define the turntable motor as the X-axis. So far the technical idea.

Now for control:
I think of use Repetier firmware and Repetier host. So I will give the X-axis a indefinite high number of length.
I will start the scanner on the top end of the tower ad write a G-code script that homes the tower on top, than turns the turntable 360 degrees, next lowers the scanner amount-Z and over and over again.
Script knowing how much decend intervals can be done, or looping until Z-min is reached? Or maybe a mobile max-x end-stop on the Z-carriage, so at the end, a turntable notch will trigger that max end-stop when the z-carriage is all the way down.

I don't know if this is feasable, but maybe someone can give me some ideas on these questions ?
  • How fast should the turntable rotate
  • How much shouls I lower the scanner after each turn ?

Any advice is appreciated. I am not building yet, so plans can be adjusted :-)

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login