Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

compose STL from 360 pictures ?

Posted by Replace 
compose STL from 360 pictures ?
November 23, 2014 07:26AM
I would like to scan a sculpture I bought, to print a small replica for the sculpturing artist in return.

Would there be software that I feed a big number of digital photo's into that renders it into a 3d design ?
Like 360 for every degree on a turntable ?

some 20 years ago I put a die-cast model on a turntable, took a picture every 2 degrees, scanned the analogue photo's and made a GIF sequence out of them.

For that time it was a nice trick ! Life footage from stills ;-)

Maybe nowadays , images can be used to make an .STL ?

tips and tricks are appreciated....

Thomas

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 07:30AM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
VDX
Re: compose STL from 360 pictures ?
November 23, 2014 04:38PM
... check 123d catch from Autocad - this is a cloud-based 3D generator for image-sequences ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 24, 2014 05:49AM
What resolution the photos are? You need good resolution if u need details, and your model seems very "intrincated".

If you want to i can try with some photogrammetry solutions with +70 images.

Can you upload this somewhere?
November 25, 2014 11:48AM
I have not made the photos yet
I will do so next week, after which I will share some to see if .STL is feasable.

Thanks
Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
December 08, 2014 01:48PM
Tu peux aussi utiliser Sketchup ( de google) il n'est pas open source mais il est gratuit.
http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/sketchup-stl
December 09, 2014 04:42PM
Major points of note for photogrammetry:
Don't let anything be shiny, blow some talcum powder on the model to cover up any reflectivity without losing detail. Not enough to make the whole thing completely white though.
Don't move the part in relation to the light sources. This might seem odd, but have some LED lighting on the turntable itself to shine on the model rather than using a fixed spotlight.
Try to make it as colorful as possible, use several different colored lights, or sprinkle on some dyed talcum powder to give the model more contrast.
Take pictures from multiple elevations, go a full rotation at multiple points of view vertically rather than just lots of pictures from one point of view around one rotation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login