Sardauscan a sub 30$ DIY 3D laser scanner
March 09, 2015 01:56AM
Want to try 3d scanning but don't have the budget ?

Here come the “cheapest 3d scanner on earth”.

Sardauscan is a sub 30$ DIY 3D laser scanner. it only take a sheap 28BYJ-48 a arduino nano, a webcam and 1 to 4+ Line laser.

The cost is even 12$ if you already have a hercule hd twist.

The software Is written in C# and winforms (i know i know, but sorry i don't have the expertise for multipletform interface coding)

and allow you to compose your Scan task by drag and drop.

Recommended Process is composed from these scan
“Scan” => “IrQ filter” => “merge laser” (if you use more than one laser) => “Build Mesh by interpolation “ => “Save STL”.

But if you are not satisfied with the build-in processing task, or if you prefer use another heavy but powerful software to work with your point clouds like meslab or other, you can just “Scan” => “Save Ply” and import them in your preferred application.

While the software come with a build-in support of the Sardauscan hardware and usb camera, You can easely write your own Hardware proxy via plugins.

You can also add your own task custom via pluggin to your scan process.

STL of the Sardauscan : [www.thingiverse.com]

Source Code : [github.com]

Let the bug flow Begin !

ps: be indulgent, it's my first opensource project winking smiley
Attachments:
open | download - Calibration2.PNG (75.3 KB)
open | download - Main.PNG (215.2 KB)
open | download - DSC_0299_preview_featured[1].jpg (135.7 KB)
open | download - DSC_0303_preview_featured[1].jpg (131.9 KB)
Re: Sardauscan a sub 30$ DIY 3D laser scanner
March 09, 2015 07:15PM
What size bearings are you using? You say 4mm rollers, does that mean 624zz?
March 10, 2015 02:26AM
yes i use 624, but it doesn't realy matter, you can use bigger of ( a little bit) smaller.

the bearings are optional (but recommended).
March 10, 2015 12:55PM
Works good for me since I have 624zz on hand. I've ordered the other parts. Now I need to get to printing.
March 17, 2015 10:45AM
Hello!

First: Really beautiful project!

Second: Want to give a try.... not working on Linux.... maybe the next time winking smiley
March 17, 2015 04:03PM
Well, I blew my nano on the first attempt to wire it... So now I have another on order. Now that the wiring diagram has been posted I see where I went wrong. So now I need to cut down the main beam, get lasers in, new nano, and wire it.

Here's my progress

March 18, 2015 02:10PM
sorry for the windows only, but my expertise in mono is limited, as soon as i have time i will look into it.

BTW, all help is welcome, especialy for the porting, compatibility, calibration procedure , hardware proxies, better pointclouds tasks, etc
March 19, 2015 10:23PM
Hey!
Lovin' this!
I'm going to build one, but I cannot find Hercules HD Twist 5.0 MP.

Is there anything else that can be used in its place or different designed piece for any other model cam?
March 20, 2015 02:10AM
if you redo the camera holder, you can use whatever web cam you want. it use directshow to grab camera image, so if direct show can use it, it certainly can ( i use directlib for now, but i'm looking into opencv, i will certainly use it in a future release to be less dependant on "windows only" lib)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2015 02:25AM by Sardaukar.
March 20, 2015 05:02AM
kingoddball: I've found one for a good price, I'll report the quality aftre arrival winking smiley
[www.ebay.com]
March 23, 2015 04:08AM
Hercules HD arriver incredibly fast. I can only recommend that Italian seller...
Everything seems Ok so I'll wait for the rest of the components from ebay. smiling smiley
March 24, 2015 12:06AM
any sample scans done? can you please put pictures of actual object and resulting scan . thanks
March 24, 2015 02:05AM
yes on thingiverse

[www.thingiverse.com]

along with wiring, program interface, video of realtime scan and postprocessing.
March 28, 2015 12:23PM
Version 0.0.0.4 of the software is out.

- Much faster for the imageprocessing.
- Better camera support (more resolution, and capturing faster)
- hestetic change of opengl viewer
- adding icons for task type ( input, filtering, transformation, smoothing, IO, etc)
- Adding a task for grabbing images to use in a photogametry program. (ie 123d catch or other)
- many other things i'm forgetting

[github.com]

now the only limitation is the motor speed and the laser fade in-out time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 12:44PM by Sardaukar.
April 06, 2015 04:08AM
i've made a complete instructable to build, configure, install and calibrate :

[www.instructables.com]
April 06, 2015 09:43AM
You might want to add your wiring diagram pic to your instructable.

Hopefully I'll do my first scan this week with mine.
April 06, 2015 11:52PM
Love this concept!

I'm starting to build... a couple of feedback points:
  • Like many people, I have a 100x100x100mm (Printrbot Simple 1405) 3d printer, and the arms don't quite fit flat into the build volume. I have to tilt them up about 30 degrees to fit them in. If you made the arms just slightly shorter and/or narrower, this design would be much more accessible to many more people.
  • Your box and corner structures have overhangs which I think will make them a bit awkward to print (I haven't actually printed those parts yet).
  • You say that the AccelStepper library is needed, but not how to include it in the compile. Just a comment to say follow the instructions at [github.com] would have make me feel more comfortable.
  • Similarly with programming the Arduino... a brief pointer to where instructions are would be nice.
  • There's no indication of how to connect the Arduino with the PC. After a bit of Googling, I found that I don't actually need a serial port on my PC and MAX232 chip and all that... the serial connection is virtualised and done through the micro-USB connector.
  • Your software is Windows-based. Any thought to doing it in some cross-platform language? Java? Would you be OK with me doing a Java version?
  • Any thought to a branch of this project which would use a Raspberry Pi rather than an Arduino? That would allow a browser-based interface to the scanner (e.g. similar to Octoprint), which would make it portable to every platform.

Frank
April 07, 2015 04:45AM
madmike8
You might want to add your wiring diagram pic to your instructable.

it is there on step 2.

Accelstepper is a standard arduino library, and there are install instruction in the link i provide.
"TO INSTALL: Download zip by clicking "DOWNLOADS" in top right corner. Then uncompress folder and rename to AccelStepper. Make sure that folder contains this README. Then copy to sketchfolder/libraries (see also [www.ladyada.net])"

I didn't explain how to connect the arduino to the pc, i've assume that everybody with a 3d printer(arduino based too) know how to connect it.

Sorry for the windows based software, but i don't have the knoledge to do it multiplatform. But most of the core engine is plain c#, i suppose a mono conversion is possible. Any help for porting it to mono will be apreciated.

If you want a raspberry solution, you can use the atlas 3d aka freelss. it work the same way but slower and don't have all the post-processing tasks ( too much for a raspberry i presume)
May 07, 2015 06:13AM
Somebody asked for 2020 end caps.
I have attached an stl file 2020_extrusion_cap-v1.stl

Hope that helps

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
May 07, 2015 06:21AM
I am using a Microsoft Life Cam and had to make an attachment to fit the camera holder of the original design.
If anybody would like this mount, here is the stl file.appjaws_cameramount-v1.stl

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
May 07, 2015 06:30AM
Somebody reported that the supplied tee nut stl did not work for them.

I have printed and used 12 of these, and whilst fiddly, I had to heat the M4 nut slightly and then insert it into the holder to melt it in place. This worked well for me and seems to make sturdy joints.

OpenSCAD version 2020.07
August 15, 2015 06:53AM
Is anyone able to assist with setup? I have built the machine finally got it plugged in today but all of my scans are spaghetti monsters.
Scanning callibration cube and simple pieces (pawn and can).

Nothing actually works for me. I can see it like it's working then it kind of explodes. I will post a few pics. Crazy.

Also trying other things like moving bed in closer (using a Logitech C170) and even disabling lasers trying less.

Edit: Some pics attached...

I have tried all different settings, config'd it and even tried to put it in a box/dark and light, out of ideas smiling smiley

Thank you for any help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2015 07:00AM by kingoddball.
Attachments:
open | download - Cali cube.png (202.4 KB)
open | download - spaghetti monster.png (294.6 KB)
open | download - pawn in box.png (264.7 KB)
open | download - Chess explode.png (444 KB)
open | download - Chess prog.png (266.9 KB)
open | download - chess prog 1.png (263.1 KB)
August 17, 2015 08:02AM
Hello,

This is clearly a problem of calibration and/or build size entering in the dimention page. (prettu sure for your build dimention, as you object didn't touch the bed, at least the z of camera is wrong)

You also have a lot of noise, try the tune page ( also reduce the camera exposure in the camera settings, it's help a lot)

Refer to this instructable [www.instructables.com]

there are plenty usefull information in the comment too (on instructable and thinkiverse). I'm pretty sure, you can find the response to your troubble there.

(if you understand french, there are a lot of information on smartfriend forum too : [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com] )
September 04, 2015 04:43AM
Hi all,

How does this scanner compare to the atlas or david laser scanner begginers kit?

Before I build one I would like to know if the softwares interpolation feature can combine vertical scans with the horizontal (rotatory) ones?

Does anyone know If it would be able to gain a resolution of 0.2mm?

My apologies for leaching onto a thread!

Thanks

Dave
September 04, 2015 04:47AM
nope, the sardauscan software, is a rewrite/modification of the atlas source. it work on the same way : vertical lines only.
September 30, 2015 01:47PM
Hallo,
ich habe versucht mit Arduino zu kompilieren.
Accelstepper-library installiert.
Es kommt die Fehlermeldung:

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-1.0.6\libraries\AccelStepper\MultiStepper.cpp: In member function 'void MultiStepper::moveTo(long int*)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-1.0.6\libraries\AccelStepper\MultiStepper.cpp:30: error: 'class AccelStepper' has no member named 'maxSpeed'

Was ist falsch?

Gruß Manfred
September 30, 2015 02:35PM
sorry, i don't understand german, but as far as i understand your accelstepper libray is not correctly installed, corrupt or you have a conflict with another library,

edit : here is the correct library => [github.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 02:37PM by Sardaukar.
September 30, 2015 03:33PM
Hallo,
habe es auf englisch versucht

Hello there,
I've tried using Arduino to compile.
Accelstepper library installed.
It is the error message:

Have this predetermined Library installed _> the same error

Greeting Manfred
September 30, 2015 03:43PM
i think you have a library conflict.
because maxspeed is defined in the .h file (line 320) that is on the github i've post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 03:56PM by Sardaukar.
September 30, 2015 03:53PM
Hello there,
I have not installed the Predetermined Library.
Where can I find this?

Greeting Manfred
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login