Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

$99 3D Scanner on Kickstarter

Posted by jasonddsmith 
$99 3D Scanner on Kickstarter
February 11, 2016 11:45PM

CowTech Ciclop: The first 3D laser scanner under $100. Currently live on Kickstarter: [www.kickstarter.com]

The 3D printing revolution has come, and it’s time for 3D scanning to follow. The CowTech Ciclop is a RepRap 3D scanner with a large scan volume, simple, yet elegant design, and a disruptive price point that blows any other laser scanner out of the water. The user prints the plastic parts on their own printer in any color and resolution they choose, and can assemble the scanner in less than 30 minutes. Then, simply take any object you want to replicate, set it on the 200mm laser cut acrylic turntable, and start scanning. We wanted to make sure our product was usable for anyone who owns a 3D printer, so we meticulously designed our parts for a print bed volume of only 115mm x 110mm x 65mm (4.5 x 4.3 x 2.6in) so they can be produced on even the smallest of printers.

It is born out of the open source BQ Ciclop but uses 33% less filament and half the print time, in addition to requiring a fraction of the print volume.

Any questions, please let me know smiling smiley
Re: $99 3D Scanner on Kickstarter
February 13, 2016 01:16AM
It amazing how cheap you can make something when you do zero software development and just rip off open source projects...
February 13, 2016 01:57PM
The main idea behind open source projects is that other people should be able to expand and improve upon the original idea. I don't feel like we have "ripped off" the project, but rather that we are contributing to the open source library of technology and knowledge.

Let me share with you a snippet BQ has posted about the technological heritage of humanity:

"Technology is part of our everyday lives and it is key to the development of mankind.
Thanks to the emergence of free licensing, we are able to share our knowledge of technology. This knowledge is now free. We all have access to it, we can study it, improve it and share it. It belongs to everyone, which is why it forms part of the Technological Heritage of Humanity.
There are free software applications, electronic diagrams of hardware boards, diagrams of pieces to be printed in 3D and much, much more. The volume is immense. We must give it the importance it deserves and take care of it."

[plus.google.com]
February 13, 2016 03:11PM
Dust
It amazing how cheap you can make something when you do zero software development and just rip off open source projects...

This is unnecessarily harsh.

The whole point of open source is that it can be used and shared. It's not a ripoff if the open source is acknowledged.

And it appears that this KS project does create something of value in that they have developed a custom shield.

OTOH, *I* wouldn't choose this over a Sardauscan (or similar) which it resembles somewhat and which is also open source and only about $30 for parts (no custom shield needed).
February 13, 2016 06:02PM
Even with a custom shield $99 is pure profiteering. I would guess 50% profit per unit.
February 13, 2016 06:13PM
The BQ, which you felt that we ripped off, sells for at least $350. I think we created a far more affordable machine. I don't really understand your intense animosity.
February 14, 2016 01:13PM
Dust
Even with a custom shield $99 is pure profiteering. I would guess 50% profit per unit.

So why don't you (or anyone else) set up a competing KS project to sell the same thing for $50?
October 04, 2016 02:16PM
Going to bump this. Is it actually now complete and shipping? I am thinking of buying one.
October 06, 2016 04:14PM
Yes, units are in stock and ready to ship! www.cowtechengineering.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login