Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different axis configuration

Posted by proctor 
Different axis configuration
November 18, 2011 02:11PM
I was wondering if the system currently used by the Prusa is the only one feaseble. I have to admit that at first it looked pretty weird to see that the working bed was responsible for the x axis. I also saw a hp printer in which the bed moved up and down for the z axis. Now wouldn't it be more rational for the extruder to be moved in all the axis like in other CNC machinery?
Re: Different axis configuration
November 18, 2011 04:25PM
Actually, that's the Y axis that moves the print bed. For a machine this size, it makes sense, because the print bed and part probably weigh less and are easier to move than the X axis and extruder assemblies.

Not that some other arrangement is necessarily wrong. A lot of CNC machinery is configured with a variety of moving parts. Some mills move the table, others move the spindle, most use some combination.
Re: Different axis configuration
November 19, 2011 02:05PM
In a Bridgeport mill, the table moves in X, Y, and Z and the milling tool generally just moves in Z, although it can be set up to rotate I think. The Ultimaker uses a table that moves in Z and an extruder that moves in XY. Makerbot uses an XY table and the extruder moves in Z.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login