Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use a plastic paint spray gun?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Use a plastic paint spray gun?
May 18, 2008 11:20PM
Just wondering if instead of laying down layer by layer of heated plastic could we use instead a traditional printing approach with something like spray on plastic. I know there are some issues with cure time etc but i am wondering if a variable paint nozel that could adjust the width of the spray surface and possible also a faster moving print head could we infact archive a faster and better approach as many of the problems associated with RepRap seem to be with the extrusion head?

Long shot i know but was thinking how much tech is already put into desktop printers and is it possible to somehow leverage that?

Dan
Re: Use a plastic paint spray gun?
May 19, 2008 07:31AM
The one thing that I can foresee going wrong is the clogging of the spray gun. Currently, many of us are getting clogging in our extruder barrels, and these have hole which are .5 mm at the end. A spray gun is muck finer and I don't know if the viscosity of the plastic would allow it to flow through the nozzle. Take a look at powder 3d printers. They use ink jets and resin to print their 3d objects.

Jay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login