Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seperate Z-Axis Drive

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Seperate Z-Axis Drive
June 04, 2008 01:00PM
I'm only in the initial planning of building a RepRap, but one thing that strikes me is that the z-axis doesn't need to be as fast as the x- and y-axis. Lurking around the forums, it looks like there are a lot of ideas are out there for replacing the expensive stepper motors, so I thought I'd throw anther one out: use a simple DC motor with a screw drive on the z-axis. Then at least you only need two steppers instead of three.
Re: Seperate Z-Axis Drive
June 04, 2008 01:22PM
Precision needs to be maintained. Without a stepper you would need a shaft encouder so that you would know where you were. Without it, you are driving blind. I agree, however, that the z-axis is a good place for cost reduction. Use a smaller stepper motor if nothing else. Good idea.

Demented
June 04, 2008 01:32PM
I think you will find that stepper motors now aren't nearly as expensive as they were in the recent past.
June 04, 2008 03:32PM
I've been through the stepper versus constant dc motor debate before and ultimately the constant dc motor with optical encoder wound up being only a few pennies cheaper (including the drive electronics and programming time). Which is great if you are mass producing a product, but for limited builds, it may not be worth the effort.
But if you feel more comfortable using a dc motor with encoder then there is no reason that it cannot be done. You will wind up with the same resolution and
probably the same speed.

Personally I hate mixing steppers and constant dc motors in the same application. Having both means that you have to have 2 different types of drive components which means more thought has to go into the boards.
June 04, 2008 03:53PM
I spent the better part of nine months hammering dc motor/encoder systems. It ain't worth the bother.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login