Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Suggestion

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
A Suggestion
March 15, 2009 07:59PM
Hello,

I am very interested in the RepRap project and I'm very excited for when the design for the Mendel gets released.

Now, I'm really sorry if this is redundant or in the wrong section, but I thought of an idea for solving a potential problem when dealing with a metal extruder. From what I understand, it is difficult to build from metal because it might not stick as easily. The solution I came up with is to surround the section of metal with a filler substance (like a mould) and then to fill in the metal later. Then the filler substance can be dissolved away.

Thanks for listening and I hope this helps. : )
Re: A Suggestion
March 15, 2009 08:33PM
I think part of the problem is finding a metal that has good enough properties to be any use, but a low enough melting point to be extruded. E.g solder comes in filament form and melts easily, but has very poor mechanical properties. Aluminium has great properties but melts at 600 degrees.
Wax investment casting is a pretty standard application of rapid prototyping in industry which could be a more sensible way to go. I think new extruder materials are being developed as part of the next generation raprap, Mendel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login