Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pick and place and solder dispenser for surface mounting

Posted by tomato 
pick and place and solder dispenser for surface mounting
May 29, 2008 08:19AM
while looking in the future toolheads section i remembered this
[www.ciciora.com]
pretty cool but i don't understand how the solder can stay molten unless it's fields metal or somthing
Ru
Re: pick and place and solder dispenser for surface mounting
May 29, 2008 08:39AM
Not solder, solder *paste*

It would be... tricky to do a lot of surface-mount stuff without it, really.
May 29, 2008 09:17AM
Great link! Thanks tomato! smileys with beer
May 31, 2008 02:45AM
You know, some of the early syringe extruder designs should be capable of dispensing solder paste and holding onto SMD components. If we could figure out how to make the SMD holding head rotate 90 degrees, store and align SMD components, and mill copper clad then PCB production could be fully automated.
[blog.reprap.org]
Ru
May 31, 2008 08:30AM

You know, some of the early syringe extruder designs should be capable of dispensing solder paste and holding onto SMD components

This sounds like it has the potential to be a little... kludgy. I'm very much in favour of separation of concerns... a magical multipurpose toolhead would be cool, but I just bet it would be 4 times harder than developing two independant toolheads.

Paste dispensing and part placing don't really need to be done in parallel, so requiring a head change isn't onerous.

If we could figure out how to make the SMD holding head rotate 90 degrees, store and align SMD components, and mill copper clad then PCB production could be fully automated.

Easy as that!

But what do toolheads need to be able to do, *in general*? I'm thinking about the inputs and outputs they might need on a head-changing electrical connection. Power, 4x PWM, 2x digital in (ie DC motor direction), a couple of analogue returns (ie, temperature sensing), a couple of digital returns (quadrature encoding?), i2c bus, whatever else?

I'm guessing that most heads (such as pick'n'place tools) are going to be somewhat simpler than an extruder, but what sort of more complicated tools might be needed? (this is another reason not to use all singing, all dancing , bells'n'whistle heads)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login