Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Material Science Start, Material dis / advantage, Construction considerations

Posted by dfk20012002 
Material Science Start, Material dis / advantage, Construction considerations
April 13, 2011 02:34AM
Has anyone started, or is interested in helping start, a page covering some basic material science, in the wiki?

I have found that there are a few pages of this and that around, but none that condense it usefully, or linked together.
I am not a material science engineer but I do know a few basics and would be willing to start it up.

Potential topics include (For commonly used Reprap stuff):
Metals
Plastics
Insulators (Glass, Fiberglass, Kapton, etc.)

Basic Construction Methods / advantages
Fasteners & Frame / Structure material Considerations
Optimizations of basic fastening?

With Each topic covering stuff like:
Heat capacities
Material pros / cons
Melting / weakening / softening points
Heat Capacities
Reactivity* (how the material reacts with some other Reprap materials, I know there is a word for it but I dont have enough sleep right now to be smart)
Material density

I know there are a few pages that talk about where to acquire different stuff, and some of those links might be able to be hooked into this project as well.

If anyone is interested I would love to hear your comments on things that should be covered, and possibly if anyone is willing to help out, with providing info / observations, proofreading, and etc.

But at any rate I wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thinks, and if I should start gathering info, at any rate I wont be able to go full bore at this till beginning of May 2011 cause I am in finals exams right now at University, so please start some ideas / opinions going.

Thanks All
David
Re: Material Science Start, Material dis / advantage, Construction considerations
April 13, 2011 11:12AM
here's a good place to start:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Materials

There hasn't been a lot of work done recently on this page, so anything you want to add would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login