Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maglev print bed to level?

Posted by dustynus 
Maglev print bed to level?
May 17, 2012 11:06AM
I just thought of this, saw on the forums someone mentioning magnetics with bearings,

I'm interested in what people think about using magnets to levitate a print bed to keep level?
Re: Maglev print bed to level?
May 17, 2012 12:57PM
I think the control system would be expensive.
You would have to monitor the bed pretty closely and change the magnetic field strength as material is extruded out.
And you would have to find a way to balance the magnetic field as the extruded material shifted the center of rotation of the bed.
May 18, 2012 06:18AM
It would be easier to use some water floating system if you want a real level.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
May 18, 2012 08:37AM
How could you keep the water level as it moves the y axis?
May 18, 2012 09:31AM
I have some small magnets, and I was thinking of trying it but wondering if it´s dangerous with the electronics etc? Here is what i was thinking:

May 19, 2012 04:00PM
I have often thought that a xy table where the build platform slides over a surface would be a nice idea. I was thinking of a PTFE plate under steel, but a floating build bed would be great!

The Maglev idea would need some serious control software to keep the flux levels stable. These ideas do seem a little fanciful at first, but as electronics are now seriously cheap, this may be feasible.

I do seem to recall they may do something similar in astronomical telescopes for the stabilising large optical mirrors. Perhaps a google search in that area may throw up an idea or two.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login