Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision vs general-purpose ACME hardware question

Posted by NathanaelXYZ 
Precision vs general-purpose ACME hardware question
January 04, 2016 04:51PM
I'm looking to purchase a lead screw for the printer I'm putting together, and want better quality than can be achieved through plain threaded rod. What I'm thinking right now is a McMaster-Carr precision ACME screw (McMaster# 98940A305) with a general-purpose acme hex nut or two (# 95155A114).

However, McMaster recommends their expensive precision acme nuts to go along with the precision rod. Can I get by with the simple hex nut, or will thread fit be poor enough to cause binding and other unwanted effects? Will the imprecision of the general-purpose nut negate the additional expense of the precision rod?
Re: Precision vs general-purpose ACME hardware question
January 17, 2016 08:39PM
Get a delrin nut off ebay.

A badly-made steel nut will damage the shaft, and a well-made metal nut will cost several arms and legs. Plastic is cheap but precise.
Re: Precision vs general-purpose ACME hardware question
January 17, 2016 09:14PM
I don't think there's much point in going to the extra expense of a precision ground screw unless you get a matching nut. That said, I don't think the Z axis requires a precision ground screw/nut. It is normally moving in relatively large steps as opposed to motion in the X and Y axes where you would want the precision/accuracy to be very high.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login