Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

usb cable for ramps 1.4

Posted by Jagtech 
usb cable for ramps 1.4
January 23, 2016 05:03PM
?When I hook up my ramps board to the USB with the provided cable which is very short( 10 Any ideas?inches) it communicates OK but if I try a longer cable or use a printer cable it will not recognize the device any ideas? I want a longer cable but I am not sure what kind of USB cable to get
VDX
Re: usb cable for ramps 1.4
January 23, 2016 05:41PM
... the quality of USB cables can be pretty different - search for cables with ferrite beads at the ends -- they're mostly used for high-speed USB connections like external HD's ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 23, 2016 11:28PM
Will this cable work?

[www.ebay.com]
January 24, 2016 02:04AM
Probably, but you never can tell, I was worried about the same thing, when I put the arduino into an old atx power supply box, I found I had no way to get a standard usb cable in, so searched for some right angle USB cables, I was going for short just to keep overall length down, I needed the cable to be pointing either straight up or 90degrees/right.

The first to come was this one, waiting was a pain as I couldnt use things until it arrived
[www.ebay.co.uk]
which enabled me to leave connected at arduino end, and then another normal length USB to connect to laptop

second much longer, but not tried yet as the other works fine.
[www.ebay.co.uk]

the main thing is things are up and running and my fear of dodgy usb cable has subsided, but I'm sure the only reason I had those fears was some other dodgy cable, and the fact it comes with a small one.
VDX
January 24, 2016 11:20AM
... problems with USB connection can be caused too by insufficient noise filtering of the PSU or not shielded (or twisted) stepper-cables or such ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 08, 2016 09:55AM
Also having problems with USB. Mid print everything stops with a communications error in Repetier-Host. My first thought was the cable, which I've replaced. I then thought maybe there's a problem with firmware, so I tried updating, after 5 attempts I succeeded. Back to original setup with new cable, and again it stopped mid print (only a 10 minute test print). Now I'm going to try direct from the SD card.
I really hate USB as a system, even with the best quality leads and ferrites its pretty rubbish.
Anonymous User
April 08, 2016 11:53AM
Tocsin
Also having problems with USB. Mid print everything stops with a communications error in Repetier-Host. My first thought was the cable, which I've replaced. I then thought maybe there's a problem with firmware, so I tried updating, after 5 attempts I succeeded. Back to original setup with new cable, and again it stopped mid print (only a 10 minute test print). Now I'm going to try direct from the SD card.
I really hate USB as a system, even with the best quality leads and ferrites its pretty rubbish.

You can't say it is the USB ! Fact is, PC are not real time computers. Any lengthy print jobs are safer done from the SD card. I learned it the first day I started with 3D printing, or was it the second day ? smiling smiley

And why is this in the mechanic section ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 11:54AM by MKSA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login