Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gear design issue

Posted by Adampeirce88 
Gear design issue
December 22, 2016 02:34PM
Hi

I am using onshape as my cad program and I am having a lot of trouble designing working gears.
I have been on various websites and watched various tutorial and have the general idea but do not seem to be able to make it work
Are there any step by step guides that people have come across or a list of formulas to work out the number of teeth from module and pitch diameter.
Re: Gear design issue
January 04, 2017 07:42AM
good afternoon all

following this problem of designing a useable gear i have found a solution using a Uwins method of drawing approximate spur gears. altho i do realise there is a lot more to designing gear that are efficient quite and able to take huge amounts of stress for the DIY maker that just want a gear to fit in to set space with a correct ratio this seems to work
i have yet to print and test these gears due to my printer is still in part kit form. however if anyone would be interested in being able to design there own gears i will happily create a step by step guide to this. along with a Excel speed sheest that will do all the maths.

i have posted some images of a design that i created whilst i was learning to draw these gears it a simple 2 speed gear box.
if you would like this please post below and i shall put it together

BR
Adam
Attachments:
open | download - image1.PNG (88.5 KB)
open | download - FullSizeRender.jpg (84.3 KB)
January 06, 2017 11:46AM
Cool. I am sketching out plans for an experimental printer mod to power multiple things from a single stepper that would normally have a dedicated stepper per item.
January 06, 2017 02:34PM
That's an intresting idea what type of things are you thinking of controlling using one motor.
Also what methods of drive are thinking about? as if you was to use some Type of simple gear box the biggest issue I can think of with gears and the engaging selves is play and backlash?
I would be interested to know how you get on with this project exspecily if you decide to use some type of 3D printer gears.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login