Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What size solder for the thread wrap

Posted by davidgoodenough 
What size solder for the thread wrap
October 23, 2008 09:44AM
In the BfB extruder tutorial video (which now works wonderfully) it is suggested to wrap solder around the thread of the main bolt under the bearing. What kind of solder is best for this, and what dimensions. Also does anyone know of a good UK source for it?
Re: What size solder for the thread wrap
October 23, 2008 11:04AM
and a good US source...I've been wondering about the size myself.

Demented
sid
October 23, 2008 12:47PM
well.. since I guess it's metric thread M8 (x1.25) I think any 0.5mm solder will do (one turn is 1.25mm wide, half mountain half valley... you need to fill the valley.. that's 0.625mm but the solder is round not triangular and who cares anyway... so 0.5mm solder)

grinning smiley

Sources.. well ummm

NEXT!

'sid
October 23, 2008 04:54PM
I used 0.7mm solder as you want it to be proud of the thread before solder i used PVC insulated wire (normal wire) all you are trying to achive is that the bearing is central on the bolt when you tighten the nuts so absolute size is not critical just that it is a tight fit as the bearing is push/ bolted over your choosen material. Hope this helps.

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
October 28, 2008 06:35PM
I used 22 SWG the RS stock code was 229-4320 though it may not be sold any more.

Ian's tip really works very well it solved my axis wobble no my rep strap Bertha.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login