Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has anyone devised a print head that cuts sheet metal?

Posted by R.J. Bowman 
How would you cut sheet metal with a cartesian setup? My guess is that is an industrial shop, you'd use lasers, but how would you do in on a home setup?
Re: Has anyone devised a print head that cuts sheet metal?
April 27, 2009 12:32PM
You would use a milling bit with some kind of milling head. For thin aluminum you can use a Dremel tool. I would check out Forest's blog as he has done a lot with milling plastics. You could also check out the early posts in Nophead's blog. The process for milling metal won't be a lot different.

I would have included links to both blogs; but my internet is acting up and I couldn't get to either site.
I found web sites with machines that do it with electric cutting, which seems suited to the not-completely-rigid reprap platform, but not so well suited to the low-power nature of the machine. Milling head is probably the way to go.
April 27, 2009 03:26PM
I built a cartesian bot a few years back for sheet metal and it used EDM (electrical discharge machining). It wasn't exactly a home use machine because of its size and power load.

I suppose those you could easily mount an arc welder with a carbon cutting rod to a cartesian head and cut thin sheet metal pretty easily.
April 27, 2009 05:42PM
Plasma and water cutting seem to be the state of the art right now.
Here's some DIY forums on the topic
[www.cnczone.com]
April 29, 2009 01:02AM
Cris, how did you make an electrical connection to the metal did you just clip a wire to it? IE, if you wanted to cut concentric circles how would you cut them?
April 29, 2009 11:02AM
If you're cutting concentric circles, cut the smallest one first.
April 29, 2009 11:36AM
Electrical connection to the metal was made with a welding type jumper cable.
The bed was insulated with 1/2 inch thick plastic.

For concentric circles, as mentioned above, you cut the smallest one first, but they are limited in size based on the accuracy of your cutting head. IIRC, a 1/4 inch diameter circle was the smallest the design would do. Anything smaller than that didn't really come out with the right dimensions. The user didn't need any holes,chamfers, or fillets that small anyway, so it wasn't an issue with him.
May 16, 2009 05:44AM
If your XYZ axis are really rigid, then you could use a repetitive pin punch setup, with a die for the punch bit mounted under the material you are moving.
September 20, 2010 04:54PM
Did you ever figure out how they vent the air bubbles? I can't believe that if you had a vertical vent at the output that plastic wouldn't come shooting out, it's under such high pressure.
September 20, 2010 04:57PM
oops that got posted to the wrong thread for some reason.
September 21, 2010 09:23AM
I'd guess there would be issues with rigidity when trying to mill on a Mendel.

I'd also like to point out that the stock location for the electronics under the bed is a real poor location if you were using liquid coolant with mill work, mounting a large tank of deionized water for EDM, or making a lot of sparks doing arc cutting.

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login