does this threaded rod seem suitable?
June 08, 2009 07:07PM
[cgi.ebay.com]

10 1 meter lengths of M8 rod for $17, it seems like a great deal, but I worry when something seems to be a fifth the price of competing places... does this look like it will work for a reprap?

I am attempting to populate my workbench with a nice collection of metric odds and ends so have been looking for *cheap* metric assortments I can get in california. If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

John - [notanumber.net]
Re: does this threaded rod seem suitable?
June 09, 2009 08:54AM
The standard darwin design uses more threaded rod that threaded, but does also require some threaded rod.

I've been working on a machine using all threaded rod, using heat shrink to make the rods smoother:
[greenarrows-shed.blogspot.com]
June 27, 2009 09:03PM
The only problem you get that is significant with threaded rod is the straightness of the rod. other than that it dose not really matter if its metric or english threads as the software only needs to know howmany turns to move 1mm or howmany turns to move 1 inch.

Obviosly the threaded rod must not have any dings in the thread to stop the movement of a nut from end to finish. It must fit standard nuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 06:07AM by BodgeIt.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Raydog
February 17, 2010 01:49AM
in addition to straightness, make sure it is steel rod and not cast iron.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login