Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grub screw woes

Posted by jamesd256 
Grub screw woes
December 20, 2013 06:02PM
The hobbed shaft has rattled loose in my extruder.

I tried to tighten the m3 grub with a 1.5mm hex key, but it slips. So I bought some more m3 grubs and some more 1.5mm hex keys and I still get the same slipping. All the 1.5 hex keys I have are measuring 1.47mm in the calipers. The bought ones are advertised as being suitable for m3 grubs.

Any clues? Is the key wrong or the grub screw? Anyone know where to get matched keys and screws?
A2
Re: Grub screw woes
December 20, 2013 06:24PM
Slips = stripped?

If the M3 grub screw is working loose, try using Loctite thread locker blue 242.
There are different kinds of Loctite, so review your options before purchasing if this sounds like it will work for you.
December 21, 2013 05:31AM
Thanks, I will try that once I find the right screw/ key.

Not stripped. The 1.5mm hex key is too small. Same with newly purchased m3 grubs and 1.5mm hex key. At present moment I am unable to even tighten.
December 24, 2013 03:25AM
You can use the loctite as a glue for the gear itself, too. I did it, and it is holding even without a grub screw. Additionally, you could file a flat on the extruder shaft, then you won't have to tighten the grub screw that hard.
December 25, 2013 07:56AM
jamesd256
...and some more 1.5mm hex keys...
Sounds like you bought some cheap stuff.
For such small screws you want a high quality hex screwdriver. The good ones have a grounded hex shaft with sharp corners.

Those should be fine: [www.helipal.com]
December 31, 2013 06:47AM
Try to file a flat on the extruder shaft.

Check out our complete collection of cisco dumps tutorials and ACCA guide on Adobe Photoshop essentials. Join The University of Tokyo web designing course to become expert in web designing. you can find us on Facebook also on wikipedia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login