Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PA instead of ABS?

Posted by Sebastian 
PA instead of ABS?
October 27, 2009 03:33AM
Hi,
right now I'm trying to get my parts for Mendel from a RP-Company. They asked me if PA could also be used for the parts instead of ABs, because this would be cheaper. Do you know anything, which would be against making it out of PA?

Thank you,
Sebastian
Re: PA instead of ABS?
October 28, 2009 09:52AM
Acrylic? It's pretty brittle, but it's used in laser cut versions of Darwin with fair success.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
October 28, 2009 05:34PM
Isn't acrylic PMMA? PA polyamide, i.e. Kapton.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sebastian
October 29, 2009 07:24AM
I meant Polyamid... what do you think about using this?
October 29, 2009 08:11AM
I have no idea I have only seen it in the form of a tape so I don't know how strong it is.

I would guess that as long as it is rigid then it will work. What process do they use to make objects in PA?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 29, 2009 02:00PM
Are you sure it isn't a polyimide? I don't see any other possibilities right off, but the listing's not a full roster.
Sebastian
October 29, 2009 05:59PM
MMh. The company for sure offered me PA2100. And wikipedia told me this would be polyAmid. But this doesnt matter anyway, because after a lot of mails asking for prices I finaly got one... it should have cost me 2500-3000 € for the hole Mendel-printed-parts... I have to find another way to get the parts... thank you for your opinions. sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login