Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

good source for non-captive linear steppers?

Posted by unfold 
good source for non-captive linear steppers?
March 31, 2014 01:00AM
Hello I am looking for a good source for affordable non captive linear stepper motors, something in the nema17 range. I need at about 150mm usable stroke for driving the plunger down in a syringe, finest pitch so the most possible power is generated.

Preferably in the US, as I am based there for some more months but anywhere else is helpful too!

Thanks!
Re: good source for non-captive linear steppers?
March 31, 2014 05:36AM
"NEMA 17" is the name of a standard for stepper motor mounts. It doesn't even describe what's behind the mounting plate. A "NEMA 17 linear stepper" can't exist, because a mounting plate for a circular stepper doesn't fit a linear one.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 31, 2014 03:41PM
I don't get your point Traumflug, a Nema 17 sized non-captive linear stepper fits a Nema 17 mount just fine, thats why they are Nema 17 right? They have the exact same face plate dimensions, hole spacing flanges etc as a rotational Nema 17, the fixed axis is just replaced with a threaded rod and internal nut:

[www.haydonkerk.com]

There are round tin-can linear steppers that definitely don't fit on Nema 17 mounts (although there exist optional flanges) but I'm less interested in those although happy to find a source for those too:

[www.haydonkerk.com]

VDX
March 31, 2014 04:28PM
... check here - NEMA-8 to NEMA-23: [us.nanotec.com]

But the pricing is heavier than with common RepRap-motors eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 31, 2014 11:32PM
Thanks a lot Viktor, hand't found that one yet. Thats actually reasonable in price for one from a non-chinese vendor, I can easily find 150$ ones. Thanks a lot, knew you would have a good source smiling smiley
April 01, 2014 12:04AM
I also found this one, which is cheap at 24$, but it is 12V: [www.tdvdesign.com]
I understand that 12V steppers should work but don't perform to their full capacities? What issues can I run into at 12V?

Viktor, I'm having a hard time figuring out what a good one would be. I am not good at understanding all the electronic specs sad smiley
From the RepRap wiki I understand that anything in the 3-5 V and 1-1.5 A ranges should work fine. But I don't see any voltage ratings...
I am looking at this one: [us.nanotec.com]
Maybe model L4118S1404-T6X1, with a 1mm pitch since I need force > speed.

btw I see now that they don't include leadscrews so that makes them a bit less affordable. but ok..
April 01, 2014 06:58AM
unfold
I don't get your point Traumflug

What you show isn't a linear motor. It's a rotatry stepper with a threaded nut integrated. Undoubtly a useful arrangement in some situations, but linear motors work without any spindle.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

VDX
April 01, 2014 09:12AM
... this 'linear motor' naming stuff is a bit fuzzy ... call it better linear drive or actuator winking smiley

'Good' steppers for the RepRap-electronics are normally rated with currents of around 2 Amps and corresponding voltages below 5 Volts ... but I have steppers with 325 Volts too, that have realy good dynamic properties ... so this could be different ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

April 01, 2014 12:27PM
Traumflug
What you show isn't a linear motor. It's a rotatry stepper with a threaded nut integrated. Undoubtly a useful arrangement in some situations, but linear motors work without any spindle.

Now I get it. smiling smiley That makes sense, I was confused by you talking about how it could not be Nema 17...
April 01, 2014 12:51PM
VDX
... this 'linear motor' naming stuff is a bit fuzzy ... call it better linear drive or actuator winking smiley

Thanks for clarifying, I found the linear actuator naming confusing when looking for one that is stepper based since a linear actuator can be so many things, pneumatic, hydraulic. Since I have no engineering education whatsoever I go by Google and a google image search for Linear stepper shows far more images for what I need than a search for linear actuator. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

VDX
'Good' steppers for the RepRap-electronics are normally rated with currents of around 2 Amps and corresponding voltages below 5 Volts ... but I have steppers with 325 Volts too, that have realy good dynamic properties ... so this could be different ...

Do I understand well that voltage isn't that relevant?
At Nanotec I can find that the ones I was looking at are specced as 1,4 A/winding, 2 Ohm/winding. Now that leads to 2,8 V/winding right? But what are the correct numbers for the total of the stepper? I am lost here. Help appreciated.
VDX
April 01, 2014 02:59PM
... the essential number is the amperage - with the common bipolar drivers you define the max. current through the coil, then the driver switches the voltage on the coil with a high voltage peak and controls the current to the set value.

The higher the voltage, the faster is the switching/loading of the power, what's defining the dynamic properties.

I'm driving 2V@2A-steppers with drivers, that can output until 70Volts@6Amps without burning the coils by setting the max. current to 2Amps winking smiley

Viktor
--------

April 08, 2014 12:36AM
OK, so got the cheap TDV one with 250mm leads crew TDV linear actuator and installed it on a print head that I made. Adjusted the voltage on the pcb and worked. That was until I actually had it push 60cc of clay through a 1mm nozzle... On and off it skipped steps. So clearly I need a more powerful stepper, combined with maybe the finest pitch screw. I had no idea how to calculate how much pressure I actually needed but today figured something out. Please let me know if this sounds correct:

-I need around 4 bar of air pressure to extrude clay from a 60cc syringe, 6 bar max.
-1 bar = 10 N/cm² so 6 bar = 60N/cm²
-diameter syringe is 28 mm so surface area syringe is ±6,2cm²
-6,2cm² * 60N/cm² = 372N force needed correct?

So, quest open again....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2014 12:37AM by unfold.
MPN
May 11, 2014 11:05PM
Just ran across this stepper motor site today, might have what you're looking for:

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/linear-stepper-motors-c-3.html
July 28, 2016 02:49AM
Did you find your stepper and solve your problem!? I'm currently where you were when you posted this.

I'm looking at nema23's because I feel like the 17's aren't going to cut it for me - my syringe capacity is going to be more like 250-500mL.

I'm totally unsure how to calculate the required force.. did you calculate yours theoretically or not?

Any information you could pass on would be so great
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login