Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TLDSearchmuch: OpenBuilds V-Slot?

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
TLDSearchmuch: OpenBuilds V-Slot?
May 08, 2014 12:07PM
Has anyone here used OpenBuild's V-Slot? It looks smooth and solid, but the only legitimate videos I could find were by OpenBuilds themselves. I want to know that a 3D printer can build beautiful models with this system.
A2
Re: TLDSearchmuch: OpenBuilds V-Slot?
May 08, 2014 12:38PM
From what I've seen Delta printers are using it with success

Mini Kossel V-Slot 3D Printer
[www.thingiverse.com].
May 08, 2014 12:41PM
Sweet. I think I've finally decided on my framing. Takes out linear motion at the same time.
Thanks.
May 09, 2014 03:29PM
I sell it and I am using it on the 3d printer I am designing. It works great for almost everything.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
May 10, 2014 12:04PM
The more I look at it the more I realize it's an almost everything-in-one framing. Every single aspect of my design I've completely rethought out and designed to be simpler, easier, and cheaper. Legit. The Vslot seems like a goldmine. I'm even thinking about making a linear motion for my mother's router.
May 20, 2014 11:47PM
I'd like to bring this topic up again.

Have any other people used the v-slot? Can anyone attest to the system's assembly tolerances and play between the gantry and slot?

It looks like a great systems, but I'm worried that play in the gantry/slot mate will cause inconsistencies and a loss in accuracy in printed parts.

Thanks
A2
May 21, 2014 12:42AM
I'm not able to find any specifications from OpenBuilds.
In the OpenBuilds forum some one thought they might be adhering to the following standard, but I wouldn't trust it until OpenBuilds provides a specification.

Metric Aluminum Profile Standards
• Yield strength 241.1 N/mm 2 (35,000 p.s.i.) min / tensile strength 262.0 N/mm 2 (38,000 p.s.i.) minimum
• Elongation A5 minimum 10% / Elongation A10 minimum 8%
• Elasticity E approximately 70,326.5 N/mm 2
• Brinell hardness approximately 75 HB
• Extrusion conforming to DIN 17 615 specifications
• Twist per 304mm (1 foot) of length not to exceed .25 degree and total twist over 6.1m (20 feet) of length not to exceed 1.5 degrees
• Flatness 0.32mm (.004 in.) per 25.4mm (1 in.) of width
• Straightness 0.32mm (0.0125 in.) per 304mm (1 foot) of length, not to exceed 3mm (.118 in.) over 6.1m (20 feet) of length
• Unless otherwise specified, all profiles will have etch and clear (MIL-A-8625F) anodizing with
depth of 0.010mm (.0004 in.) and surface hardness of approximately 250 HV (anodized profiles
should not be welded because of toxic fumes)
[www.openbuilds.com]
May 21, 2014 08:22AM
"I can almost certainly guarantee you the variance is on par with extremely expensive steel rods and linear bearings." Is what grabs me. I hope it's true. It's a lot more accurate than my printed version of the ali extrusions eye rolling smiley

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login