Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kapton tape alternatives

Posted by fraschizzato 
Kapton tape alternatives
May 16, 2014 03:06AM
During some tests i've found that with high temperature kapton tape burns (obviously,but in my hotend is inevitable), considering that ptfe tube can resists to very high temperature i've thinked to use ptfe tape (teflon, the simple used in idraulic)... It has no glue but it can resists to very high temp, it insulates from hot and electricity, it can be fixed in place by using simple metal wire or kapton tape... wery low price and avaiable everywhere... Now, there are some problems that i've not considered?
Re: Kapton tape alternatives
May 16, 2014 03:44AM
You won't get anything to stick to PTFE.

May 16, 2014 06:07AM
Kapton tape should not degrade until 400C although the glue may unstick before then. If the kapton is burning then either you don't actually have kapton or your hot end is dangerously hot! Ptfe shouldn't be used above 260 although it doesn't melt until well above 300.
May 16, 2014 09:36AM
uhm... probably mine is not real kapton tape... my "kapton" tape that fix thermistor to the hotend was carbonized and temperature was never over 240° ( measured with the thermistor and an ir thermometer)... I have to talk to my seller angry smiley
May 16, 2014 05:36PM
Kapton is a brand name for polyimide tape made by DuPont, much like Kleenex is for tissues and Xerox for copiers (once upon a time). Even within true DuPont Kapton polyimide tape there are multiple grades (for examples) that range from 300-752 if not lower/higher. The limiting quality usually is the adhesives that are used, not the actual polyimide film although if you got cheap quality tape the upper range may be lower then what is expected. The tape rating also may not be for continuous use for long periods of time.

I wouldn't trust an IR thermometer unless it's a "professional" or scientific grade one where you can just for different emissivity ranges. Cheap IR thermometers are usually calibrated for an emissivity coefficient of around .95 which is near what a ideal object with peak emissivity would at. Aluminum has a coefficient of somewhere between .04-.3 depending on how polished and smooth it is. Brass is around .2 or less if it's polished. So presuming that your heater block is brass or aluminum since almost all are, if you're reading what you think is the correct temperature, you may be reading a much higher temperature since it has such a lower emissivity coefficient.

Your thermistor may also be defective, use a different thermistor table then what your printer is configured for, or there is poor thermal contact between the block and the thermistor. I know the first thermistor I had was nearly 14 degrees different then what the table suggested it should have been until I generated my own table specifically for that thermistor. I don't know if the table was oudated, my thermistor was defective, or what.
May 17, 2014 01:17AM
I'm pretty sure that temperature readings are correct, i've also made tries with a thermometer that i know is working well... Thanks for specification about kapton (i believed that are all the same), i've seen (on posted catalog) that 3M 1205 has a max range of 311°F (155°C) and probably mine is like that (according to the measured burning temperature)... For my use I have to find in my local sellers (or maybe online) the dupont kapton that as a maximum value of 752°F (400°C)...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login