Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

endstop placement and axis directions

Posted by Yellobello 
endstop placement and axis directions
June 22, 2014 03:25PM
Hi, my self-built printer needs the endstops to be put in place.
Basically it´s a little like the latest prusa, but made of lasered steel for maximum rigidity and a LOT of modifications.

Here´s a quick drawing:

The print bed can move 400mm in Y direction so it does not matter in which direction the print is made, mechanically.
At the moment I have just MIN endstops, which should be enough, but I placed them at X1 Y2 which resulted in a mirrored print. Z MIN endstop is on the right side of my extruder being a servo endstop for auto-bedleveling.
-
Where would you put the min endstops, and which direction should the bed and head move (Y/X+ is where?), and where on A,B,C or D will then be my point of origin, in the optimum case?

I know, basically I can put them where I want, but what´s everyone doing, and why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 03:26PM by Yellobello.
Re: endstop placement and axis directions
June 22, 2014 04:30PM
I have the endstops (all min.) X1 and Y1. Your homing position will be C.
X+ moves your extruder to the right, Y+ moves your heatbed towards you.
You probably have to change the direction off your Y-axis motor and your mirror problem is solved.
June 22, 2014 06:29PM
That was the first thing I tried, but then i ran into trouble homing, since there was no endstop where the bed homed to. So I had to connect my endstop to y max and do everything else software-wise. A bit messy.
To make confusion worse, Y and X axis were swapped name-wise in the beginning on my printer... Autobedleveling made homing even more confusing and this is why I decided to do it proper. I even couldn't say where 0,0 was...
The way you put it is the way it's done on the the standard Mendel, right?
June 23, 2014 03:25PM
Yellobello
i ran into trouble homing, since there was no endstop where the bed homed to.

If a firmware doesn't do what you want, adjust it to do so. There are plenty of configuration options in config.h/configuration.h.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 23, 2014 08:40PM
Also, the endstops don't determine if your print is mirrored or not. Your axis has a direction whether you have 0, 1, or 2 endstops. Depending on motor placement, your axis might need to be inverted. For example, for your X axis, if you put the motor in front of the belt (as some X ends do) then your axis will move opposite than if you put your motor behind the belt. Inverting the axis is just a true/false setting in the firmware that is totally separate from your endstop settings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login