Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruded filament diameter

Posted by nophead 
Extruded filament diameter
August 11, 2007 01:53PM
I am using a nozzle with a 0.5mm hole in the end. From what I had read I was expecting the extruded filament to expand up to about 0.8mm. I was a bit disappointed to find it was coming out at more like 1.2mm.

After a bit of playing around I found that the amount it swells is related to the the pressure it is extruded at. I reason the higher the pressure the more it is compressed as it goes through the hole and the more it expands afterwards. Slowing down the motor, and or increasing the temperature reduces the diameter and I can extrude 0.8mm filament albeit at lower speed.

This got me thinking this effect could be exploited to do fast low detail infill and slow fine outlining. People have suggested two extruders may be required for this but I think it can be done purely in software. Although it is slower doing the outline, moving to a smaller nozzle would be anyway.

Having different filament sizes for the infill will complicate things somewhat though because you no longer have layer alignment with the outline and the infill. Perhaps if we can stretch this effect to get a 2:1 diameter then we get a 4:1 rate of deposition.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Extruded filament diameter
August 11, 2007 02:15PM
Interesting result. I haven't observed that kind of behaviour at all and I have run my extruder at a wide range of polymer pump speeds and extruder temperatures.

I'm wondering. Were you trying to extrude onto a surface when you noticed this extruder thread diameter difference or were you letting the thread hang free off of the end of the extruder? Certainly, if you are extruding onto a surface the extruded thread diameter will get thicker or thinner depending on how fast you are moving the extruder head.

What sort of temperatures are you extruding at?
August 11, 2007 02:39PM
The head was high above the table and I was letting it fall under gravity. I have not tried laying it down yet.

I think I am extruding at a little over 200C. That is the temperature of the plastic inside the nozzle around where the heater is. I think the actual nozzle is a bit cooler.

The rate of extrusion was ranging from about 3.5mm per second to 5mm. Increasing the motor speed does not increase the filament speed in proportion because it gets fatter as well.

What deposition rate and diameter do you get?

I hadn't thought about it being stretched as it is laid down but that means we should be able to vary the diameter even more with software.

I am beginning to see there are a lot of variables to optimise in this system!

August 11, 2007 03:10PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The rate of extrusion was ranging from about 3.5mm
> per second to 5mm.

I've run anywhere from <1 to > 12 mm/sec (I'll have to go back and check my notes, mind)

> Increasing the motor speed does
> not increase the filament speed in proportion
> because it gets fatter as well.

That's just weird! Are you sure that your thread isn't sticking to the extruder head around the orifice?

> What deposition rate and diameter do you get?

As I said, anywhere from 1 to 12+ mm/sec. I always got about 0.8 diameter

> I hadn't thought about it being stretched as it is
> laid down but that means we should be able to vary
> the diameter even more with software.

You have to be careful with stretching. It depends on the thread tacking down to the surface in order for stretching to occur. That ain't always that easy to achieve.

> I am beginning to see there are a lot of variables
> to optimise in this system!

Oh Lordy, aren't there just a few? I'd settle for just understanding a little about their dynamics, never mind optimising them.
August 11, 2007 03:20PM
Here's my data. I published it in April on the blogs.

[www.3dreplicators.com]
August 11, 2007 06:06PM
Hmm, reviewing your data against mine on the face of it there is not a lot in common. You have are getting a much lower temperature for an equivalent power but a much higher flow rate. My thoughts of possible reasons why your temperature is less: -

1)I think your barrel is a bit longer, mine has only 30mm exposed.
2)You have a plate at the top with a large surface area acting as a heatsink.
3)Yours is matt black whereas mine is shiny brass so less emissive.

If you are running at a lower temperature then its even more odd that I get the lower flow rate. Assuming we both have 0.5mm apertures the only other difference I can think of is the depth of the hole. Not the easiest thing to measure in my case but in your case it's just the thickness of the copper. Possibly if my hole is deeper then there is more friction so the flow rate lower and the pressure is higher so the expansion greater? Odd that you don't see any change at all in diameter though.

Other odd things are that you can vary the flow rate from 2 to 11 with the same heater power giving the same temperature. When I increase the flow rate then the temperature drops significantly for the same power. I need around 8 watts for thermal equilibrium but when extruding I think I need about another watt to maintain the same temp. Perhaps it is because you have so much more power going in and being lost to the environment that the cold filament has less influence.

I am changing the motor voltage at the moment from about 4v to 8v. My GM3's box is marked 5V but I am sure it was sold as 6V. You are using PWM which will explain why you can go down to lower speeds. Am I right in thinking 100% is 12V into a 6V motor? That would probably go some way to explaining the higher rate.

So we are left with the fact you can use a much lower temperatures and your flow rate does not affect diameter but mine does.

I will wait until I have build a controller so I can fix the temperature and flow rate independently and then I will do some more detailed measurements.

I now have about 10m of 1mm filament. Perhaps I should build a 1/3 scale extruder to use it up grinning smiley

August 11, 2007 10:10PM
nophead Wrote:
> Not the easiest thing to measure in my
> case but in your case it's just the thickness of
> the copper. Possibly if my hole is deeper then
> there is more friction so the flow rate lower and
> the pressure is higher so the expansion greater?
> Odd that you don't see any change at all in
> diameter though.

That could very well be it. Both Adrian and Vik have noted that you must have the depth of the orifice as small as possible. In large measure that is why I designed my extruder head the way I did.

> I am changing the motor voltage at the moment from
> about 4v to 8v. My GM3's box is marked 5V but I am
> sure it was sold as 6V. You are using PWM which
> will explain why you can go down to lower speeds.
> Am I right in thinking 100% is 12V into a 6V
> motor? That would probably go some way to
> explaining the higher rate.

Another thing as well is that I threw away that 6v motor and replaced it with a much more powerful 12v motor that Solarbotics sells that you have to actually ask for in that it isn't in their catalog. Talk to Dan Gates about that.
August 12, 2007 01:09AM
Hmm..
Nophead, is your extruder nozzle a hemisphere with a cone subtracted from it?

Forrest Higgs, is your extruder nozzle a thin plate with a cylinder subtracted from it?

If so, on both counts, perhaps the plastic is "curing" a bit in the thicker nozzle, and thus coming out a consistent size.

Pure speculation on my part. I don't even know if plastic behaves that way.
August 12, 2007 03:21AM
By hemisphere I assume you are referring to the acorn nut version. Mine is the older design which looks like this [reprap.org]

August 12, 2007 05:13PM
Yes, I meant the acorn nut variant.
However, looking at the linked imaged, I still wonder if the geometry of the nozzle is effecting the behavior of the plastic.
If so, it presents design limitations, but also design opportunities.

Again, pure speculation on my part.
August 12, 2007 07:11PM
Another possibility is that it is the temperature, rather than nozzle geometry, that is the cause. I am using temperatures around 200C and above, while most of Forrest's figures are substantially lower. I don't know anything about non Newtonian fluid mechanics, or Newtonian for that matter, but perhaps the hotter the plastic is the more compressible it is and hence the more it will expand when released.

I will try some lower temperatures and see what happens.

August 13, 2007 04:49PM
Well I tried around 160C and the filament was bigger at lower speeds and it started slipping when I tried higher speeds. I had to raise the temperature and push it with pliers to get it moving again.

So for now I think it will stick with 200C, 5mm / second giving about 1mm diameter filamant and see if I can get the software hooked up to make something. I think I will switch over to the acorn design at some point to allow easy experimentation with nozzle hole sizes.

It would be interesting to know what results other people are getting with the same extruder design and HDPE.

August 14, 2007 06:52AM
The magic Google incantation for All Human Knowledge on this phenomenon is "die swell". There is a good explanation at [www2.mech.kth.se]

You're all right - it is complicated. It's caused by the fact that molten polymers are non-Newtonian (that is not perfectly viscous) fluids; they exhibit elastic behaviour as well. The results of extruding out of a nozzle depend on both the profile of the channel up to the nozzle (i.e. what the fluid has experienced in the way of compression in its recent past), the rate of flow, and, of course, the temperature and polymer properties. There are (mostly empirical) models to predict what will happen, but they tend to assume that the flow is into free air. We are bending it through a right angle and smearing it out as soon as it emerges. I don't know anyone who has tried to model that.

One problem (as Sean Roach says) is that most of us don't quite know the exact length and profile of the lead up to the nozzle orifice. For example, the end of a dome nut is thin, but I suspect that it's not all that well quality-controlled; so I further suspect that some of us have a 1 mm long 0.5mm hole, and others an 0.5 mm long one. We could cut a load of nuts in half and gather some statistics, but they'd all come from one batch and one manufacturer, so I don't think even that would tell us a lot.

Thus I think the most profitable course is probably experiment and calibration...

best wishes

Adrian

[reprap.org]
[reprapltd.com]
September 01, 2007 06:41PM
I'm a very new newcomer to the RepRap world... I just got here today smiling smiley

But it occurred to me to wonder why you're using the acorn nuts rather than something with a long, thin tube the same diameter as the exit orifice to allow the medium to smooth out its flow before exiting.

What came to my mind was the removable screw-on metal (chrome-plated brass?) tips from Pentel mechanical pencils.
These pencils use graphite rods of various sizes including 0.7mm, 0.5mm and 0.3mm. These sizes seem to me ideal for beginning to investigate this kind of orifice.

It seems to me that a longer cylinder of the exit diameter would allow the plastic medium to adjust itself into a smooth stream before it has to exit, and might reduce the "die swell" effect.
I also wonder if the media being used contain dissolved gasses or volatile compounds that might be causing the media to foam up slightly when released from pressure. Has anyone investigated this?

~Rick
September 01, 2007 06:55PM
That might work, but you may have a problem if something gets stuck in the tube. Also, supposedly there has been some effort to get shorter tubes, because they cause less friction, and are thus easier on the extrusion motor. I don't know whether the possible advantages of cutting down die swell would be more valuable or not than the other ramifications of that change. You'll have to get a response from someone who's actually tested a reprap.

-Samuel
September 02, 2007 01:23PM
Rick.Berry Wrote:
> I'm a very new newcomer to the RepRap world... I
> just got here today smiling smiley

welcome rick!

> But it occurred to me to wonder why you're using
> the acorn nuts rather than something with a long,
> thin tube the same diameter as the exit orifice to
> allow the medium to smooth out its flow before
> exiting.

well, the acorn nuts are a pretty good solution for a few reasons:

1. easy to get. they are cheap too.
2. easy to drill. the wall between the end is usually very thin < 1mm
3. easy to remove/reattach because they are threaded. useful for a research project like this.

if we have a long thin tube that was 0.5mm you wouldn't get anything to extrude out of it... it would be nearly impossible.

> What came to my mind was the removable screw-on
> metal (chrome-plated brass?) tips from Pentel
> mechanical pencils.
> These pencils use graphite rods of various sizes
> including 0.7mm, 0.5mm and 0.3mm. These sizes seem
> to me ideal for beginning to investigate this kind
> of orifice.

we actually tried those once. there are a couple major problems.

1. they screw on to 10-24 or 10-32 threads. which means our 1/8" hole is nearly the size of the bolt to screw them onto. this means its *really* hard to drill that hole.
2. they are more expensive than an acorn nut, and a bit harder to find.

i like where you're heads at though... you'll fit in well here =)

> It seems to me that a longer cylinder of the exit
> diameter would allow the plastic medium to adjust
> itself into a smooth stream before it has to exit,
> and might reduce the "die swell" effect.
> I also wonder if the media being used contain
> dissolved gasses or volatile compounds that might
> be causing the media to foam up slightly when
> released from pressure. Has anyone investigated
> this?

i dont know much of the physics behind it, but i do know that the exit hole must be very short. if its long, it becomes very hard to extrude. a good example of this is blowing through a short length of tubing vs a long length of tubing. the longer length is *much* harder.
Anonymous User
September 02, 2007 01:42PM
I had an idea for a modification to the extruder head design; a modified head with a heater/nozzle assembly that could float or slide relative to the screw feeder, so that a piezoelectric weight sensor could get a reading of the force being applied to the filiment. The question is whether this would actually give you a reading that would equate to the pressure inside the nozzle. If it worked, it could provide readings that could be used to adjust the speed and/or temperature to get the desired flow and bead diameter.

Is there any way that the bead diameter could be measured directly as it is being extruded?
September 28, 2007 07:56PM
I think I have an explanation for my variable filament diameter: I think I drilled the hole from the back too far so actually my 0.5mm hole has opened out a bit and has almost zero length.

Although my extrusion rate is lower than Forrest's, the larger filament diameter means that the flow rate is actually slightly higher and that is with a less powerful motor. That points to the fact that my hole is over sized and the only way I can imagine it got that way is if it got opened out from the back.

The implication is that a longer nozzle is better for constant filament width.

Full details here: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login