Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stepper motor wiring & color codes

Posted by owad 
I HAVE A TWO 5WIRE UNIPOLAR STEPER MOTOR BUT WE CAN NOT USE IT PROPERLY.PLZ HELP ME TO HOW TO USE THE WIRE
I HAVE A TWO 5WIRE UNIPOLAR STEPER MOTOR BUT WE CAN NOT USE IT PROPERLY.PLZ HELP ME TO HOW TO USE THE WIRE.(PM25L-024)-BRE7 LOT NO-TB 4Z06D
Re: stepper motor wiring & color codes
May 03, 2010 07:04PM
Use the directions here To determine which of your wires is "common".

For 5-wire unipolor-only setups, the common wire is usually tied high, and then you use a MOSFET or similar to tie two of the others wires (AT A TIME) to ground...

You will not be able to use these with the standard reprap stepper drivers, as those boards will drive unipolar motors ONLY. You CAN use it, but you'll have to come up with some other solution for the driver electronics.

Note also that the straightforward solution will require 4 pins on the microcontroller, each used to control a MOSFET to tie one of the non-common wires on the stepper to ground. You might be able to adapt the PWM board, as it's basically just three mosfets. You'll need four mosfets instead, so you'll still need something custom.... Unless you get four PWM boards, and use all four of them to control three steppers... that would work. The advice of an experienced EE is advised...

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
iwant to know how to connect stepper motor without knowing its wires color and number only having five wire with no details iwant to know the wire color with corresponding wire number like 1(red) 3(green) plz help
dear sir,
I bought a stepper motor OKI 55 M01
colour code is grey and white for common contacts
while green, blue .red , black for live wires
what is the stepping sequence?
my stepper motor(m42sp-4np) have 5 wire red black brown orange yellow. so please tell me which is common wire and what are rest of wire. answer me in terms of coil1,coil2... and a1,a2,b1,b2.
June 06, 2010 10:14AM
prashant

jgilmore posted a reply on this thread not 2 replies before your question with a link that explains how to determine the common and pairs... Why don't you have a look at that?

Good luck
June 06, 2010 12:47PM
prashant mishra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my stepper motor(m42sp-4np) have 5 wire red black
> brown orange yellow.

You may want to get a resistance meter to find out which lead belongs to which coil. Perhaps the missing 6th wire is connected to the housing. To cite [objects.reprap.org] :

> Steppers motors come in several wiring configurations. 4,6, and 8
> wires are all fairly common. 5-wire version have been reported to
> exist. 5 wire versions won't work

If you can get a 5-wire version to work, please update the Wiki article.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 06, 2010 12:54PM
There isn't a "missing 6th wire". Both centre taps are connected to one wire on a five wire motor as they are intended for unipolar drive only where both centre taps connect to the supply rail.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 06, 2010 05:40PM
Thanks. Updated the Wiki with this tidbit.

Sharing this in case it's useful to someone. It comes from the eBay listing for the motors I just bought.

----------------------------------

Sanyo Denki
Type 103H5208-0842 or -1241

STEPPER MOTOR, 1.8 deg 200 steps/rev when full-stepping

PIN1 / RED = A
PIN2 / BLUE= B
PIN3 / YL = A-
PIN4 / ORG = B-
PIN5 / WHT = COMMON
PIN6 / BLK = COMMON

Description
1.6 or 2.0 ohm motors
Current per Phase: 1.2A unipolar 1A bipolar
External Depth: 39mm
External Length / Height: 42mm
External Width: 42mm
Frame Size: 17
Holding Torque: unipolar 42.48 oz/inch (0.3N-m) bipolar 55.23 oz/inch (.39N-m)
August 13, 2010 02:16PM
Traumflug Wrote:

> If you can get a 5-wire version to work, please
> update the Wiki article.

I'm new here but just started testing out my electronics.

Using all GEN3 tronics and wanted to test with some old 5 wire Tandon unipolar steppers out of old 5.25 floppy drives(since I have about 30 sumthin of them)

Also using the Stepper Motor Driver 2.3r1

They look like NEMA17 size and have wires Green/Red/White/Brown/Black.

I used an ohm-meter to find the common connection to the coils.

Basically black to anything read 80 ohms.
then anything to anything else seemed to read 150 ohms.

I wired it up using all but black... first in this order on the
Red/Green/Brown/White...
It was very erratic so Then I swapped out to
Red/Brown/Green/White.

That allowed smooth movement but tested on a bench with not framework.
It did have holding torque but couldn't tell you how much.

Anywho... I hope this helps those attempting to use Unipolar motors on the bipolar drivers.

Here's an interesting reference also regarding driving a Unipolar motor as a Bipolar one.

From CNCZone
hello:

i have a 6 pin unipolar stepper motor color: red, yellow, black, gray, orange and brown..how to determine the data pins..?
August 19, 2010 05:45PM
Find it out by measuring resistance between pairs of wires. You should find four pairs of low resistance and two pairs of a higher resistance. These two pairs are the pairs you want to use with a bipolar stepper driver. Ignore the two remaining wires.

September 02, 2010 03:51AM
I finally hooked up my 103H5208's tonight and the wiring provided to me was wrong. What it ended up being was:

1 = C
2 = A-
3 = A
4 = B
5 = B-
6 = C

-Rick
September 05, 2010 12:04PM
Hi

I have a 4 wire stepper motor i dont know how to run it?
The colors are: Yellow, Red, Blue, White.

Best Regards,
Rick

I also bought a set of 103H5208's off eBay. How are yours working? All of mine spin and seem to work fine at low speed, but if I try to "home" the shaft stops spinning. I've tried adjusting the trimpot but even at max current I see that behavior. I'm using a v2.3 stepper controller board.
September 16, 2010 09:47PM
srwalter Wrote:
> Rick
>
> I also bought a set of 103H5208's off eBay. How
> are yours working? All of mine spin and seem to
> work fine at low speed, but if I try to "home" the
> shaft stops spinning. I've tried adjusting the
> trimpot but even at max current I see that
> behavior. I'm using a v2.3 stepper controller
> board.

Okay, I think my problem is figured out. I adjusted the firmware for the higher number of steps/mm (this is for a McWire), so running at 3000mm/min is unreasonable. Lowing that to 900mm/min and all seems well.
September 22, 2010 10:56AM
I HAVE A TWO 5WIRE UNIPOLAR STEPER MOTOR BUT WE CAN NOT USE IT PROPERLY.PLZ HELP ME TO HOW TO USE THE WIRE
September 23, 2010 05:36AM
First, writing in all capital letters is usually recognized as shouting, and there is no need to shout here.

Two, none of the recent RepRap electronics is compatible with 5-wire motors. Probably we can't help you much other than recommending to look into unipolar stepper drivers offered elsewhere.

Three, there's a small chance you can open these motors and make them into a 4-wire version. Looking at [reprap.org] , 5 wire motors have lead 2 and 5 connected inside the housing and if you cut this connection, these motors should be compatible with RepRap electronics.

hi there i have been fiddling with electronics for quite a while now. and hav decided to buy some stepper motors. and a stepper motor controller. the board has a 7 way screw connector. and a type of header plug. the screw in connector says a b c d comm vcc gnd. and the header type plug says +5v gnd cp dir add dec.this is confusing it also tells me in the instructions that the board is 5v and the stepper motor is 12v. i have two stepper motors the couler of the wires on the mae hy100 1713 075 a4 are blue,red,yellow, and white. and on my mitsumi m42sp-6p the coulers are brown,yellow,black and orange. the board information can be found at www.nbglin.com/motor.htm any information that can help to get this working would be really appreciated thank you so much......please help..............
November 02, 2010 10:40AM
a b c d comm? So it's set up for a unipolar/five wire motor? For six wire you'd connect both of the middle two to common. Your motors are four wire though, so the motors are bipolar. Did these come as a set?

On the header plug, "+5v", "gnd", and "dir" are obvious. Typically it would also have "step" which might be any of the other three? I don't know. Does this driver even have step/direction inputs?

The controller is for controlling just one stepper?

You have documentation for these somewhere? Do you have full names for "cp" "add" and "dec"? They could stand for a couple different things. A picture may help, especially if it has enough resolution to read the numbers and such on the various chips.

--
BJ
December 14, 2010 02:36PM
Hi,
I have a Sanyo Denki Step Syn motor.
The type no is not very clear, i guess it is 103H7521-7152. (Not able to find anything with this No from Google,so it may be wrong)
Other details are: Lot No:12226, Rev No 02, 0.9 A, 0.72 Deg/step. The wire colours are Blue, Red, Orange, Green and Grey.
Can anyone help me figure out the connection diagram and also let me know whether it is 2 stepping or 3 stepping?
Thanks in advance
Regard
BJ
December 14, 2010 05:10PM
BJ: Searching for the numbers before the - on google reveals that it's one of a family of 5-Phase stepper motors.

Unfortunately, 5-Phase stepper motors are not capable of being driven by any of the current RepRap electronics.
Yes. You will need a meter that reads resistance (Ohms).
There are two groups of three wires each.
So any wire you pick will have two other wires that read that they are connected to it.
pick any wire and using the ohmmeter find the other two that give readings.
Here is how they are wired internally:
wire #1--------((coil))--------wire #2--------((coil))--------wire #3

The resistance of the coils vary, but let's say each coil is 10 ohms.
Using this rough sketch, you see that if the wire you are holding is
either wire #1 or #3 ---one of the end wires ---then one of the other
wires will be #2 and read 10 ohms. The third wire will read through
both coils, so it will read 20 ohms. If you read 10 ohms to both the other wires, the
wire you are holding is the center wire (#2)

The center wire in each group is one of the "COMMON" wires ('white' or 'black')
Label the center wire COMMON A with a marker and a piece of tape.
Label the other two wires A+ and A- (It doesn't matter which is which, because once you
hook it up, if it is turning the wrong way, just reverse these two.

Now do the same with the other set of three wires.
Find the one that reads the same to both other wires and label it COMMON B, and
label the other two B+ and B- (And again, if the motor goes the wrong way
when stepping these, just reverse these two.)

You're done. Continue to hook up to your electronics package and test.

ksmith5135 Wrote:
> I bought 4 used steppers on Ebay. They are described as:
> Type 103H5208-0842 Sanyo Denki
> 2.0 OHM STEPPER MOTOR,
> -[ snip ]-
> My problem is that the wires are all the same
> color on the actual motors so it doesn't do me
> any good. Can anyone describe how to test the
> wiring to determine which wire on a stepper motor
> does what?
>
> Thanks
January 25, 2011 07:37PM
No motor that has five wires will work with the mendel electronics. Well, not without taking it apart and re-wiring it's insides smiling smiley See this wiki page. It should not only make clear what kind of motor you have (even if I've counted the wires wrong) but give you all the info you need to figure out how to hook it up. Look at this wiki page for more information about required spec for mendel's steppers and other information about selecting and using steppers.

--
Can you tell me the 6 wire stepper motor output specification and how can i operate 6 wire stepper motor with PLC and what would be the neccesary connection required for the PLC to connect with stepper motor.
Hi sir,
I'm a student of 3rd year b.tech.Our batch is working on a mini-project.Our project is to make a obstacle avoidance robot using NI LABVIEW.In our project we are using a ultrasonic sensor and inorder to rotate the sensor,we are using a stepper motor.But we dnt know the colour coding of our stepper motor which is 6 wired with red,yellow,orange,brown,white and black coloured wires.So, will you please tell us how to know the colour coding of our stepper motor??
July 30, 2011 11:05AM
The wire colours are meaningless without the datasheet for the motor, there is no standard and often motors do not even match their data sheet.

The best way to identify the wires is with a multi-meter. There will be two groups of three that have some resistance between them. In each group, one will be a centre tap, which will have half the resistance. Once you have identified the coil pairs and their centre taps you can connect it to a controller and it will spin. If the direction is wrong swap the two ends of one of the coils.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Oh my,
Can't ppl just use a multimeter and a battery.
To every one looking for the wiring sequence on stepper motors , "You are unfit to post here cause u have no brains"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login