Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sudden Change in Z-Axis(Solved)

Posted by Brotherbrown831 
Sudden Change in Z-Axis(Solved)
September 28, 2015 10:43AM
Hi everyone, my printer (Folgertech 2020 i3 - marlin 1.0.2) has been working great for a while but all of a sudden my Z steppers have started randomly slowing down to a crawl and making an awful vibration/buzz noise in the middle of its travel. Its a low frequency noise and shakes the entire printer. I disconnected the Z rods from the motors and the noise is definitely from within the stepper(s). If I unplug either of the two Z steppers the noise goes away however, but the random slow down persists. I swapped our the stepper driver and that had no effect.
Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2015 08:45PM by Brotherbrown831.
Re: Sudden Change in Z-Axis(Solved)
September 28, 2015 08:47PM
after many forums post involving similar behavior convinced me I was driving the steppers to quickly, I did a quick comparison of my current config.h vs one saved from last week.. I have no idea how this value was changed but my max Z speed was from 2 to 6. Once I corrected this the noise stopped.
Re: Sudden Change in Z-Axis(Solved)
September 28, 2015 09:36PM
Stuff like that is one of the reasons why I updated the controller board in my printer to a SmoothieBoard. It uses a single config.txt file on a uSD card to configure all variables and is loaded each time the Smoothieboard is booted up. There's no recompiling the firmware or hunting through multiple config files to find the variables that need to be changed. You just edit the config.txt file and reset the board. Updating firmware is accomplished by putting the precompiled binary file on the same uSD card and resetting the board.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login