Advanced

1mx1m hot plate?

Posted by rowow 
Re: 1mx1m hot plate?
December 03, 2015 04:49PM
cozmicray
A large griddle

[www.ebay.co.uk]

After a print session you could do pancakes and bacon for the whole neighborhood.

But at 3Kw you may have to notify power supplier to put a couple more reactors on line?

Perhaps a steel tooling plate with many small tubes constructed in it.
A large boiler could pump in superheated steam --- the exit steam could be router to heat your house.

Perhaps a visit to the GE 3D printing development facility.
[www.ge.com].

3kw only?
silly me, my heated silicone pad goes to about 8kw.

Maybe they will let you comb thru the "surplus" area

confused smiley
December 03, 2015 04:54PM
rowow
Ive already researched into these, and as you see yourself 500$ is way too much for me.

rowow, you might want to look past the value of the money. when all is said and done, all the time you have to research and try new methods to heat up that large surface, not to mention possible failures and setbacks, I think it't not worth it.
for the 450 usd you pay, you get a stable product, etched foil (not wire) and also in any configuration you wish, all the way to your door, nicely round packed so as not to bend. no more oven resistors, surface applied resistors or camp fires under the heated bed.
all you have to do is unwrap the thing, put it on your platform, put the glass on top and voila, you're in business.
you have to decide if you want to be wandering more on the tinkering side versus getting your project done and working properly.
as they say, some things money can't buy.
December 03, 2015 05:02PM
dc42
IMO you cannot build a large 3D printer on a budget. The only way I know of getting a sufficiently flat bed of that size is to use an aluminium tool plate. To heat it, I would ask these people [www.aliexpress.com] to quote for a silicone heater slightly less than 1m square. They did a custom heater for my delta printer at a very good price, so I would expect it to cost a lot less than the $450 that has been mentioned.

you're right about the budget.
I think I passed 11.000 on mine.
regarding the 450 usd, that was for a 1275 x 1110 mm etched foil silicone pad (there is a picture of it in one of my previous posts on this thread). I don't know the size of your heater, but as you say, Aliexpress can have some darn good deals sometimes. Considering I got a quote from durex of about 2000 doillars for the same thing, I believe I still came out ok with only 450 usd from china.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2015 05:02PM by val c..
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_8539 - Copy.JPG (608.4 KB)
December 03, 2015 05:03PM
val c.
rowow
Ive already researched into these, and as you see yourself 500$ is way too much for me.

rowow, you might want to look past the value of the money. when all is said and done, all the time you have to research and try new methods to heat up that large surface, not to mention possible failures and setbacks, I think it't not worth it.
for the 450 usd you pay, you get a stable product, etched foil (not wire) and also in any configuration you wish, all the way to your door, nicely round packed so as not to bend. no more oven resistors, surface applied resistors or camp fires under the heated bed.
all you have to do is unwrap the thing, put it on your platform, put the glass on top and voila, you're in business.
you have to decide if you want to be wandering more on the tinkering side versus getting your project done and working properly.

I do have to agree with how much time it will save me, but for 500$ that is slightly more then a whole week of work. And another reason I forgot to mention on why I want this to be so cheap is because I plan on helping others on building a cheap 3d printer as I have too many friends and family who complain 3d printing is too expensive, and I want to throw it all in the dump that with some elbow grease you can build a machine that's worth a car for a few hundredth dollars, something that anyone can do.

I actually just finished filming part 1 of X axis, yeah, there is so much to go through that it takes one whole video per axis, but ill merge the Y and Z axis videos together as they are one whole system.
But like I said, I got everything thought out except for the damn heat bed, ill experiment with nicrome, and if im unlucky and it doesnt work, ill go with silicone pads. But again, I dont want to spend more then half of my machine budget on the heating pad
December 03, 2015 05:07PM
Paul Wanamaker
I'm going to post here, only because this topic will be found and read by others, and they deserve good information.

I am however very very disappointed in the tone of this thread, it's almost a shame to post in it. The members that have given the most of their time here are some of the most respected and experienced. Their advice has been very good. Guys, you have my highest regard, thank you. You have a lot of patience.

What does it take to heat a bed of 1m size?: this has already been discussed, I will just add some insights from my own experience:

There was a heated bed referenced earlier in this thread on Grassrootsengineering.
For reference that one has a 403x403 build area, sightly thinner material for the bed than mine, and a 480 watt heater. (BTW, he estimates it would take $3000 to $5000 to build that printer, and you can get his plans for $99 - it does cost something for engineering.)

Also for reference, my printer is a Delta with an unusually shaped build plate, the longest dimension across being 431mm. It's roughly similar in size as the above, a bit smaller, but thicker.
It is made of cast aluminum tooling plate - 9.51mm thick (I got the plate as a rem for $40, about 1/2 price), and I use a sheet of mirror glass on top as a print surface.
Due to the unusual shape of the bed, used twelve - 50w power resistors. In parallel these have 8.33 ohms. With my custom 64.5v DC power supply, at 7.74A, this puts out 500W of heat. I didn't want to use mains power there, and I do use a hardware thermostat too for safety, but that's just me... being safe.

- Un-insulated it used to take about 40-45 minutes to reach 109C, using 500 watts, with an enclosed and insulated build chamber.
- After I fully insulated around the bottom of the build plate it now takes 25 minutes. The uninsulated plate referenced on Grassrootsengineering is perhaps slightly larger, I estimate will take that somewhere near 30 minutes to come up to temp, give or take 5 minutes. Someone could ask him to be sure, but I'm estimating here.

Requirements for a build plate?
A build plate needs to be extremely flat over the entire surface in order for the first layer to stick properly, and the print must also be even enough for the following layers to be smooth.
In my experience a difference of .1mm is too much variation, I shoot for .02mm. Your tolerance will vary somewhat depending on the first layer thickness used, and if a raft is used. You must define your tolerance, and engineer to make that happen.

Cast aluminum tooling plate is nearly flat enough.
- For thicknesses over .5 inch it has a tolerance (converted to metric) of 0.416mm per meter, and will weigh 78lbs or 35.38 kg for .5 inch, and will deflect several mm just under it's own weight, since it can not be securely constrained at the outside edges.
- The tolerance is worse for less than .5 inch thickness for cast tooling plate: 1.25 mm per meter tolerance, and will deflect more.
- So clearly a machine of this size machine must be firmly mounted (not on rollers, on carpet, etc), with an adjustable mount for the build plate so it can be trued up.

Regular aluminum plate is not recommended. Why?
- The flatness tolerance starts out worse (over 2.5mm per meter), and the internal stresses cause it to warp when heated and cooled. This does not happen with cast tooling plate.

How thick does the plate need to be? An engineer could specify more exactly, and there is a much better thread here where support methods are discussed. I think near .5 inch, and will need to be supported in the middle, and the supports need to be adjustable to true the plate.

Mirror glass is flat enough, but as stated is a very poor heat conductor, and would need to be thicker than usual for that large dimension, making it even worse. I'm not sure mirror glass is obtainable in the thickness required. Regular glass is not required to be as flat, and others have seen here that it isn't always flat enough.
Because of the poor heat conduction, there would need to be some form of heat spreader, or put more heaters close together. If you use a regular aluminum plate as the heat spreader then it has to be flat and not warp - hence a cast plate, or multiple smaller heat spreaders bonded to the glass. This could make it more of a challenge to support the glass in a perfectly flat/adjustable way, and would cause it to expand unevenly. I haven't seen it done, but there's always a first time. It would be a shame if something dropped on it and it cracked tho, and I would expect it could crack if some of the heaters failed or were not used.

How much More for 1 meter square?
The referenced build area was 162,409 square mm, a one meter square bed is 6.15 times as large.
However I estimate the build plate also needs to be between 50 and 100% thicker in order to stay flat at that size, and this extra thermal mass has to be taken in to consideration for the preheat time - as stated you are heating a mass, not air, or just a wire.

In the thread below they estimated they needed a 2500 watt custom silicone heater for their 45 lb, 1 meter build plate (preheat time not tested, that printer is still not finished as of this date).

Just based on the increase in area: 480 watts x 6.15 = 3130 watts.
I estimate it would actually take close to an hour+ to reach over 100C as the bed must be thicker unless more power is used (more thermal mass, more convection and radiant losses). I can tell you, that's a painfully long time. Insulation placed on the top could speed this up some. It must definitely be insulated below.

That's also an awfully lot of power use, and a lot heat being generated. The heat from the printer will need to be exhausted outdoors, unless you plan on heating the room with it (not recommended - ABS fumes = toxic). That's a change from the usual, the build chamber will need to be cooled, not heated.

As has been stated you also need to account for the deflection of the frame, gantry, etc. for the weight and forces to be applied.
This was best discussed in this thread: 1 Meter Bot Project.
They didn't use cast plate there for their build plate, and didn't support it properly, so I think they will have problems - if they ever finish it.

To others that are considering building a very very large printer, my humble advice:
- Make sure the products you are going to make with your monster are worth the 10x to 30x investment in time and materials that a printer of this magnitude will take over a smaller sized printer.
- Read about all the other large printer builds
- Learn all you can, read the entire site in fact. The more you learn, and experiment, the more you will find you still don't know. It can be very humbling, but illuminating to find out you were wrong.
- Take the good Dr's advice.
- Then build at least one normal sized printer from scratch. Then you can use that printer to make parts for the bigger one, and will have gained invaluable experience (anyone want to buy a really nicely tricked out, used Rumba... just kidding.).

No one here has successfully created a printer of 1 M size that will print its whole volume, yet, despite some considerable effort. There have been a couple pictured with some large prints, but not near their entire volume.

We're pulling for anyone that wants to try, someone's going to do it.

We'd sure like to know how it turns out for you.

P.S.
I think the good Dr is right, for a printer this size - a bed of the special (but not expensive) foam is more practical. That's one of the reasons the really big printer manufacturers use it. He's found an easily sourced alternative, and gone to the trouble of testing it. You've done him and others a great disservice, and should apologize.

P.P.S.
Please post some photos of your other 3D printers, that will help us know where you're coming from.

under powering the heated bed was my issue too.
when I worked the numbers for my surface, 3-4 kwatt would have meant the heating time would be way over an hour.
no can do.
so I upped the ante with an 8 kwatt pad (at 220 v) which, by my very wild guess should heat a surface of 1275 x 1110 mm to 120 Celsius in about 20 minutes.
that's something I can live with.
December 03, 2015 05:08PM
val c.
dc42
IMO you cannot build a large 3D printer on a budget. The only way I know of getting a sufficiently flat bed of that size is to use an aluminium tool plate. To heat it, I would ask these people [www.aliexpress.com] to quote for a silicone heater slightly less than 1m square. They did a custom heater for my delta printer at a very good price, so I would expect it to cost a lot less than the $450 that has been mentioned.

you're right about the budget.
I think I passed 11.000 on mine.
regarding the 450 usd, that was for a 1275 x 1110 mm etched foil silicone pad (there is a picture of it in one of my previous posts on this thread). I don't know the size of your heater, but as you say, Aliexpress can have some darn good deals sometimes. Considering I got a quote from durex of about 2000 doillars for the same thing, I believe I still came out ok with only 450 usd from china.

$11,000 for a 3d printer? It must be either REALLY huge or really complex with gadgets and gizmos that I cant even imagine, or you got ripped off badly...

BTW I have already finished building the 3d printer frame, all I need to do is wait for 20 more screws that I lost somewhere and it will be assembled. Literally everything is finished except for hooking up the Z to the Y and those two to the X. And after that I got the basics of hooking up the stepper motors, and hooking up those to the controller, but as I have already said, I managed to do this whole project for way under 400$ (excluding the heat bed), so if you spent $11,000 then I must be missing something
December 03, 2015 05:29PM
rowow
val c.
rowow

I do have to agree with how much time it will save me, but for 500$ that is slightly more then a whole week of work. And another reason I forgot to mention on why I want this to be so cheap is because I plan on helping others on building a cheap 3d printer as I have too many friends and family who complain 3d printing is too expensive, and I want to throw it all in the dump that with some elbow grease you can build a machine that's worth a car for a few hundredth dollars, something that anyone can do.

I actually just finished filming part 1 of X axis, yeah, there is so much to go through that it takes one whole video per axis, but ill merge the Y and Z axis videos together as they are one whole system.
But like I said, I got everything thought out except for the damn heat bed, ill experiment with nicrome, and if im unlucky and it doesnt work, ill go with silicone pads. But again, I dont want to spend more then half of my machine budget on the heating pad

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I don't think nicrome wire will work so well. thinking about it, you only have so much contact between the wire and the surface to be heated (aluminum in your case). think of a tube sitting horizontal on a flat surface: the contact area is the generator line of the cylinder that comes in contact with the surface. conversely, that's how heating wires work, and the heat transfer is not very efficient. have a look at etched foil, for comparison.
I have not tried the nicrome wire method myself (back in the day) but I have a friend who went that way, and I witnessed pretty much all the steps he took into that direction. he gave up eventually, and now he's working on a metal clad, surface mounted resistors solution.
not trying to be snotty, just trying to save you some valuable time by avoiding unwarranted pioneering work.
your approach, altruistic as it may be, should not loose sight of the more technical aspects of such an endeavor. a silicone pad has the immense advantage of distributing heat evenly, and i'm talking here about silicone pad as an approach to the problem.
another way for you might be to buy several smaller pads and use them together.
also, looking forward to seeing the videos of your x and y axis.
December 03, 2015 05:50PM
val c.
rowow
val c.
rowow

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I don't think nicrome wire will work so well. thinking about it, you only have so much contact between the wire and the surface to be heated (aluminum in your case). think of a tube sitting horizontal on a flat surface: the contact area is the generator line of the cylinder that comes in contact with the surface. conversely, that's how heating wires work, and the heat transfer is not very efficient. have a look at etched foil, for comparison.
I have not tried the nicrome wire method myself (back in the day) but I have a friend who went that way, and I witnessed pretty much all the steps he took into that direction. he gave up eventually, and now he's working on a metal clad, surface mounted resistors solution.
not trying to be snotty, just trying to save you some valuable time by avoiding unwarranted pioneering work.
your approach, altruistic as it may be, should not loose sight of the more technical aspects of such an endeavor. a silicone pad has the immense advantage of distributing heat evenly, and i'm talking here about silicone pad as an approach to the problem.
another way for you might be to buy several smaller pads and use them together.
also, looking forward to seeing the videos of your x and y axis.

Oh dont worry, I know nicrome will be a pain in the ass and most likely not work, but worth a try.
And the reason I dont want to go with resistor's is the amount of heat to surface ratio they use. they use so much power yet heat a small area, so I would need alot of them to not have any cold/hot spots.
But at that point the cost would be too much for me to calculate so from all my options its either silicone or nicrome as experimental.
Unless someone has any other ideas?
December 04, 2015 09:24AM
I am still reading the first page, and i have to say i am disappointed in the reprap community again.
This is the kind of resistance i saw as well when pondering about making a big printer.

With this kind of attitude NOTHING new would ever get developed! It's only a matter of finding out HOW.
How about, instead of telling this guy how this cannot be done (backed up by really weak maths and electrical know how), you try to find ways how to make the goal happen (heated bed with glass!).

1m * 1m ... So perhaps around 1700W "only" is required to reach the required temperature rather quickly at that as well.
Source: [reprap.org] Section: Experimental results

With heated chamber you could slowly ramp up the heat, required heat between 20C vs 150C and 70C vs 150C the delta is much much smaller.

As for getting the bed level: Just use a thick raft. With simplify3d you could add several processes, raft printed with extruder 1 using 1mm layers out of a 1.5mm nozzle, and then continue with more normal 0.4mm nozzle on extruder 2 on top of that.
Done, you got flat surface to print on!

OH not to your liking? Too bad, that works!

Also you can grid level it, and who the f* cares about wear of the threaded rods? Those cost like 5$ a pop and if you need to swap them out every couple of years or every 10 000hrs, it just doesn't matter.

Reasonably flat solution would be getting a thick workbench top plate, melamime desk top or some other thick wooden or semi wooden piece at atleast 22mm thick, and put a glass on top of that. If very large, support with angle steel supports from underneath. Keyword: Reasonably Flat.

It may not be technically flat, but when you are printing objects 1m * 1m and i assume by 1m tall, absolutely no body cares if it's within 10 microns or even 250 microns! Besides, the object will be flat after a few layers anyways - just count this in on your object orientation and other slicing settings, not a big deal.
With 0.4mm nozzle and average nema17s that would take forever to print to begin with.

You can actually use the said glass plate on a strong semi flat surface to flatten your angle iron edge and make it truly flat. This is how old school low budget lapping of cylinder heads were done, just some glass, wet sand paper taped on it, and there you go! winking smiley
So if you put in the elbow grease you can get *TRUE* flat surface with peanuts on the dollar, angle iron most def is strong enough used properly for 1m * 1m bed winking smiley
December 04, 2015 09:37AM
I am actually doing a similar project.

I am using 16mm and 25mm smooth rods.
25mm for the long X axis, 16mm for Z and Y. Y because it's shorter, and Z being vertical no droop issue here.
LM25UU & LM16UU bearings.

3mm steel wire for CoreXY setup and 8mm threaded rods (again vertical) in each corner to carry the weight of the bed.

Nema23s with TB6600 drivers connected to ramps.

I expect to be below 1000€ when i finish this project with Dual extruders, Simplify3D, roughly 1.8m * 1.6m * 1.8m print volume potential, all depends on bed size. I am probably going to get 1600mm * 600mm sheet of glass so that will be by print volume, cost of the glass from Ikea was below 100€
Most expensive bits are the bed pieces.

22mm thick melamime plate, supported with 15x15 or 20x20 angle irons welded into a square and screwed on the melamime plate. Carefull with the welding because that can quickly bend it!
NiChrome wire 24gauge roll used in roughly 1m pieces for the heating element, only going for probably around 800w for heating so i can still use reasonably cheap 12V psu for that -> 20$ a pop with actual transformer inside!. The 36V PSU for steppers cost more than that.

If it doesn't work out, oh well, i can just scale it down by cutting the rods smiling smiley

My printed parts: Just the X & Z corner junction pieces are ~250grams of ABS, on top of that Nema 23 mount, Z rod mount etc. printed.
So the printed parts will be most expensive kind of.
Good thing that i make my own filament smiling smiley

PIR Foam: Shame it's insanely expensive over here, can't seem to find it anywhere at sensible price. Like that idea!
If i could get it for 9$ per m2 here as well i'd forget even trying to make heated bed smiling smiley Most of the prints i would be doing would be using more plastic than the cost of the PIR foam in that case!
December 04, 2015 10:10AM
Wow, thanks PulsedMedia! actual advice and help!

And have you heard of v slotted aluminum extrusions? I dont know how much you got your 22mm rods but a 1.5m stick from openbuilds costed me $15. Plus they are modular and really strong, so no 3d printed parts for the corners. The most expensive part is the wheels though, they cost 80$ for a set of 20, and you need 4 for each rail system.
But there is a supplier in Europe too last time I researched for cheap linear rails, google v slot linear rails and you could get a supplier there.
[openbuildspartstore.com]

And with your heated bed did the nicrome wire work or are you still building it? Because I have some worries with nichrome, so if it worked with you that will give me alot of motivation into further funding the nicrome idea.
For the PIR foam idea ill use it to test the 3d printer in my room (as I dont want a 2kw heater in my room) but otherwise when I move I still want to go with a heated bed as it will be cheaper for me if I can get a heating system for a few hundredth dollars.

But great to met you! finally someone with a similar goal as me.
December 05, 2015 11:25PM
It would be nice if you two could post some pictures of where you are in the build process. Very interesting to see.
December 06, 2015 06:39AM
LarsK
It would be nice if you two could post some pictures of where you are in the build process. Very interesting to see.
Yep, ill take the photos tommorrow as I am on vacation currently. And if your really interested im going to get the rest of my parts tommorrow too, so in a few days ill upload a youtube video.
December 06, 2015 08:25AM
rowow
Wow, thanks PulsedMedia! actual advice and help!

And have you heard of v slotted aluminum extrusions? I dont know how much you got your 22mm rods but a 1.5m stick from openbuilds costed me $15. Plus they are modular and really strong, so no 3d printed parts for the corners. The most expensive part is the wheels though, they cost 80$ for a set of 20, and you need 4 for each rail system.
But there is a supplier in Europe too last time I researched for cheap linear rails, google v slot linear rails and you could get a supplier there.
[openbuildspartstore.com]

And with your heated bed did the nicrome wire work or are you still building it? Because I have some worries with nichrome, so if it worked with you that will give me alot of motivation into further funding the nicrome idea.
For the PIR foam idea ill use it to test the 3d printer in my room (as I dont want a 2kw heater in my room) but otherwise when I move I still want to go with a heated bed as it will be cheaper for me if I can get a heating system for a few hundredth dollars.

But great to met you! finally someone with a similar goal as me.

Yes, but V-slots are more complicated AND not actually available in my country. I can't even find the standard 20/20 extrusion here anywhere! -.-
The 25mm rods cost 30€ a piece here, and 16mm 17€ for 2metre lengths.

Am still building, i can only achieve 1600W with the nichrome i ordered. Also need to get the power of the ramps board.

Over here i found PIR foam in 2440mm * 600mm * 30mm pieces for 13€ a piece. Quite cheap!

I am still in printing parts and waiting for shipment of parts stage. One of the mockups: [scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

Nema23 425oz-in (3N-m) steppers, driven thru TB6600 drivers, using 36V PSU. Controlled by RAMPS. 3mm steel wire drive train.

Still need to do a bit of maths tho and find out if microstepping affects maximum speed of steppers linearly or ... Those steppers are good for about 20 RPS (Rev Per Second) @ Half Steps.
So i need to make a tradeoff between speed & resolution. 80mm pulley with 1/8 steps would give 50micron positional resolution @ max speed of 1600mm/sec. That's still 10s+ to go from end to end ...

At the end of the day, i might just have to go for DC motors with encoders to get the reliability, speed and resolution i want but i'll go the easy route first and see what the Nema23s can do!

I hope to see accelerations 5 times that of usual reprap build, the motors are rated 425oz-in afterall instead of what 40-60oz-in the average Nema17s put out

The problem is that no one does stepper motors for much more than ~1200RPM (20RPS) that i know off! :O
December 07, 2015 12:10AM
To the naysayers on this thread too, check this out: [3dprintingindustry.com]

With the kind of thinking these naysayers have "can't do withou 100x the money!" etc. tell it to that guy! This guy did huge volume for peanuts successfully.
December 07, 2015 07:03AM
PulsedMedia
80mm pulley with 1/8 steps would give 50micron positional resolution @ max speed of 1600mm/sec. That's still 10s+ to go from end to end ...

So your printer is 16meters long?! 1600mm/s *10s = 16m grinning smiley

Just kidding, I love your pragmatic approach, although I'd do the heating differently.
-Olaf
December 07, 2015 08:00AM
When I first started 3d printing I wanted to go with dc motors and encoders but never was able to do so as there was no help online and I have no coding ability. But that was a year ago, so if your able to control linear movement with a dc motor please keep me updated! I really wanted to do so as all printers that I disassembled did the same, but I couldn't find any help online.

But currently im using 2amp nema 17 84oz.inch stepper motors with drv8825 drivers (2.5amp) Which are twice the strength of a usual stepper motor on a reprap, and therefore I can increase the speed with some larger pullies
December 07, 2015 09:19AM
Here are the photos, as you see I have the rail system all setup. I also got half of the bottom frame installed but need more t nuts to finish the other half, and install the x axis to the z

How I connect the frames together

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 09:19AM by rowow.
December 07, 2015 12:30PM
o_lampe
PulsedMedia
80mm pulley with 1/8 steps would give 50micron positional resolution @ max speed of 1600mm/sec. That's still 10s+ to go from end to end ...

So your printer is 16meters long?! 1600mm/s *10s = 16m grinning smiley

Just kidding, I love your pragmatic approach, although I'd do the heating differently.
-Olaf

Oh you are correct smiling smiley Tho acceleration etc, can't jerk to 1600mm/s grinning smiley
Oh we will see how fast it goes when it's built, it's a compromise.

Just shy of 2m will be the available distance in X direction, end blocks take up about 4cm each and Y carrier will take 10cm, so should be able to achieve roughly 182cm of travel.
Unless i take a big truck and go get in 6m long pieces, then i might go for roughly 282cm X travel - tho i have no idea what would be so big i'd need that much volume! It would in that case be mainly about "because i can!" grinning smiley And standard sheets of wood for the bed are 2440mm long, so that would limit it as well.

Got to take measurements of my race car to see if there's anything i will absolutely need more than 182cm (Side skirts perhaps?) to do in 1 piece.

rowow
When I first started 3d printing I wanted to go with dc motors and encoders but never was able to do so as there was no help online and I have no coding ability. But that was a year ago, so if your able to control linear movement with a dc motor please keep me updated! I really wanted to do so as all printers that I disassembled did the same, but I couldn't find any help online.

But currently im using 2amp nema 17 84oz.inch stepper motors with drv8825 drivers (2.5amp) Which are twice the strength of a usual stepper motor on a reprap, and therefore I can increase the speed with some larger pullies

[hackaday.com]

Someone did it! All open source, but no instructions smiling smiley

It's awesome that someone just goes in and get's it done! smiling smiley

Wow, your setup is going to look so much more professional than mine! smiling smiley
I'm going to use standard M8 threaded rods for Z axis, 20x20 furniture profiles for the frame, which flex a lot with large 3mm or 4mm corner pieces and lateral support parts welded together.
Lot's of printed parts, so quite a bit of reprap mentality saved still!

Standard smoothrods, accuracy should be around 0,3mm / 1000mm, meaning with 2M X i will have about 0,6mm to adjust from Z screws for straightness, and not even crome plated ones! Easily available ones with chrome plating ends at 1M long and only 25mm and 15mm available, so can't even go chrome plated on Y axis since i chose 16mm and already ordered the bearings.

Bed will be a big sheet of wood supported by iron L 15x15 profile frame welded together.

Ofc, because i weld things together, use large steppers, steel wire drivetrain etc. my machine will look more industrial.
To some it will look cool like that, i just like to think "ghetto style" - that's just how i roll, in many things i don't bother with looks or exact measurements etc, i just slap things together like so: [scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net]

In that case i chose too short of a piece of 2/4 and had BAD BAD BAD filament when printing the hopper so i went in with thick ABS slurry and just slapped it in there to make sure it will hold smiling smiley
And ofc i forgot to print the electronics case! -.-

Point being, i rather have something that's usable & ready today for very little money, than something polished and precisely made i will never complete smiling smiley

Bed Adherence!
I've been looking into this! I will be printing nylon parts so this is going to be an important factor

The PIR Foam earlier on this thread is AWESOME, So thanks for that! That will work if everything else fails.

PEI Sheet: If you got heated bed, this is very durable and will have insanely good adhesion time after time, but is very expensive.

Porous wood: This apparently works as good or nearly as good as the PIR Foam with physically grapping the part, but you get couple of uses out of it. Downside is that it's heavier and takes more effort to work with.

Ofc there is the usual PVA & ABS Juice options as well, but how well will these work on large sizes?
PLA + PVA would obviously work, but ABS & Nylon ...
One backup solution is additive in filament which decreases warping and i can source it quite cheaply in 1-25kg bags, one could start the print with material which is heavily concentrated on this, and once raft is done, just swap the filament perhaps?
All they say what it is "mineral powder" - no idea what does it contain. It's meant for FRP and resin molding work. Density of 2,7g/cm3 and particle size of 70micron. Datasheet says "hydrated alumina"

I also sourced hollow glass beads from same shop, these have 0,15g/cm3 density with particle size of 100micron, so it's a bit of a question will it work with nozzle sizes of 0,3 to 0,5mm, but would def work with nozzles of 0,8-1,2mm.
This could be used for some ultra lightweight parts where volume and ease of surface processing is more important than strength.

Say 50:50 mix with ABS of 1,04g/cm (source: [docs.google.com] ) would yield in 0,595g/cm3 density!
I'm quite certain these hollow glass beads will also aid in warping smiling smiley
December 07, 2015 12:41PM
Thanks for the link! ill start experimenting with them once I get time.

And with the bed adhesion, why all that trouble? Ive never printed with nylon, but with ABS and PLA printing on scotch blue tape works very well, and looks really nice.
But thats when I get my heated bed built and I move, otherwise ill be using PIR foam as temporary because currently this printer is being build in my room as I dont have space anywhere else in the house. So the heating a 3kw bed will cook me while im sleeping tongue sticking out smiley
December 07, 2015 12:51PM
I'm afraid blue tape would just peel off. Nylon has intensely strong warp, it's less than ABS but the force generated is much much larger.

Hell i just kinda ruined 4x 150gr prints because nylon was peeling off the raft at 0,22mm gap -.-
The measurements were important, but i'll try to fix by drilling and sanding. These were the mirrored half of the large printer corner supports.

I made half of them out of ABS and half of them out of Nylon as i ran out of ABS filament. I should go to garage and make some smiling smiley
December 07, 2015 01:07PM
Oh I see, ill have to do some testing on my smaller 3d printer to see how nylon acts.
And when you said you made your own 3d printer filament have you tried making PETE filament from plastic bottles? I am trying it and its a pain in the a$$ to get it to cool instantly due to PETE plastic "crystallizing" which makes it VERY brittle. So I completly changed the design and went with a vertical setup but now something is creating alot of friction and its very difficult for the motor to turn even without any filament inside it.
But again, when I get time (next weekend) ill work on it as a 3d printer this size needs alot of material for a cheap price.
December 07, 2015 01:11PM
Pellets are so cheap so that i haven't bothered.

I can get pellets locally on 25kg bags at 3 to 9€ per kilo depending on the material.

Tho, those are huge amounts, so now i'm seeing if i should source some cheap spools and start selling this stuff because, well having to stock at least 4 different materials -> using 100kg for me is going to take some 4 years lol
That would allow me to offset the costs of filament making machines smiling smiley

One of which i'm intending to build extra heavy duty as well with 36mm auger bit! winking smiley
With that machine i will probably also experiment with having nozzle size of like 6-10mm and then pulling the filament out to get to the desired 2.85-2.9mm size.
December 07, 2015 01:31PM
9€ = 9.7$ ~ 3$-10$
pretty cheap. And with a quick look on Alibaba I can get 1 ton for $1000, cheap compared to many other manufacturing processes.
And what do you use to power your machine? because 6-10mm means alot of plastic that needs to be feed and melted, and I already have issues with my wiper motor I got from the junk yard :/
December 07, 2015 04:01PM
Actually it's about 1€ = 1.03$ or so right now.

Oh for cheapest material i just saw was it LDPE for 0.75€/kg here lol

Oh with pulling you don't build up huge pressure inside the melt zone! smiling smiley So wiper motor will be plenty smiling smiley

Actually the pressure should in any case go down with larger nozzle, easier to flow through.
December 07, 2015 04:06PM
Ah, so once I fix the friction issue it should be easy. And last question, what size auger bit and what size ID pipe do you use? Because I do it so its an exact fit, should I leave some space?
December 07, 2015 04:10PM
36mm auger, and i think it was 37.5mm ID of the pipe, so a bit loose, but so is the filastruder version too with much smaller auger!

So the tolerance is about the same or a bit less than filastruder version, but relatively much much less because of the larger size.
I was thinking i will slightly shrink the tube at the end as well to create smaller tolerance, but since it's welded pipe it has inside seem which does limit it how much i can shrink it.

Shrinking can be done with heat (blowtorch), welding or hammering.
With hammering i've done some crazy amount of shrinking in the past, like 34mm ID to 29mm ID - but takes tons of effort - that took probably 2-3hours of hammering.
December 07, 2015 06:02PM
Oh wow. Thats one thing I hate about the US, SAE, all the pipes are 1/4 inch between sizes. Which equates to 6mm of difference between sizes. Looks like im going to have to file down the pipe inside a bit. But thanks again for all the help, and please keep us updated.
Also I got my parts for the printer shipped in and assembled. Ill post a few more photos today and upload the video in a day or two
December 07, 2015 06:08PM
This thing is so big im worried into tripping on it when I wake up D:

December 07, 2015 06:11PM
I hope you are planning for the bed to move only on Z despite the looks of it.

Gantry designs work only for slow moving due to the inherent wobblyness.

CoreXY is simple enough to make smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login