Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1mx1m hot plate?

Posted by rowow 
Re: 1mx1m hot plate?
June 21, 2016 07:54AM
Seems digital dentist was correct. This is yet agian very sad and depressing to me. To see the reprap community waste $150 solving issues which on paper look amazing, however in real life are only little setbacks and are easily solved. If someone can provide a ACTUAL reason to move to 32 bit then im glad to hear. However for $150 its not worth it and I will wait until other manufacturers lower the price down to $50 where it will actually be worth it.
June 22, 2016 12:32AM
rowow
If that's the best you guys can provide then im done. Again, half of what you said is completly bs and is not an issue. Adequate 5v power supply? My ramps board has NO issues running a full graphics display. Maybe you should quit paying $30 for a cheap broken board. And stepper driver cooling? Again, WHO HAS ISSUES WITH THAT??? I use drv8825, the most heat producing stepper controller, and all I need is a small heatsink and a fan on top and its fine. Yes I know your supposed to cool it from underneath. But in the end, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

You all remind me of managers in a meeting complaining about the most stupid things when in real life none of those exists and you have much greater problems to worry about. Have fun with your $150 ripoff board while for the same price ill have octoprint and 50v, 4a, 128step, stepper controllers.

aussiephil

I shouldn't be surprised that people are prepared to pay $10 for a controller then spend 10's of hours making it work or getting multiple return/refund cycles when an initial outlay on a more modern board (any 32 bit board) may have saved time and effort. This drive to save every cent with the cheapest capital outlay is not in any way unique to this hobby
I for one would rather spend the $$ upfront and be printing things but I understand not everyone has the money to do this.

Its $8 for a board... The reason people are not spending $150 for a junk board is because its a waste of money, not because people don't have money. The reprap community would rather save 5$ here and there and it all stacks up to hundreths of dollars. Your illogical reasons is why 3d printers costed at least $500, while you can make one yourself for $300. All because american manufacturers like you wasted money left and right while other people can build it for cheaper, and spend the rest of the money on upgrades and parts.

With the recent issue it at max took 4 hours of my time, not 10's, which is alot but this is a one time problem and in the dozens of printers I made I never had a issue like this. If you read the post you would understand the issue...
So please dont lie and spread bullshit. The least you can do is read the post as I have already explained the situation multiple times.

You really shouldn't cast aspersions about junk boards like that.... the board is excellent, does everything it claims and imo worth every single cent, we all make judgement calls on what to spend and yes I have actually read the ENTIRE thread

I will call BS on your 4hr claim and if it's true i'd like to offer you a job in incident management.... you claim to have had 4 faulty boards before your 5th one was good, so less that 1hr per board to unpack, wire in, test, check fault, remove board, make claim from vendor, return board, order new board and wait for new board, rinse repeat.... well done.
Even if only 4hrs, i value (and bill) my time at $100 per hour so suddenly a Duet looks like great value.

You are a reason reprap maintains a hard to do reputation for new people as you continue to espouse the cheap is best mantra and to do otherwise is stupid.... Ramps is absolutely crap to me, it needs to be recompiled for settings changes and that needs software i don't want on my pc nor wish to learn.
It's exactly the attitude you have displayed in this thread that made me two years ago when I was going to build one myself to shelve the idea and just buy a flashforge that worked basically out of the box when all the research in the world really didn't expose the near mystical knowledge needed to work with Ramps. The time value equation came out quite easy in favour of the commercial unit.

I neither lied nor spread BS..... you are doing a wonderful job of that all by yourself... every dot point I made was grounded in fact and I made it CLEAR that I would rather spend the money and never demanded YOU or anyone else HAD to use anything but cheap chinese junk.
You however have a very clear agenda that we are all stupid because we choose to spend more than $8..... serious go stick your head where the sun don't shine.
June 22, 2016 12:38AM
rowow
Seems digital dentist was correct. This is yet agian very sad and depressing to me. To see the reprap community waste $150 solving issues which on paper look amazing, however in real life are only little setbacks and are easily solved. If someone can provide a ACTUAL reason to move to 32 bit then im glad to hear. However for $150 its not worth it and I will wait until other manufacturers lower the price down to $50 where it will actually be worth it.

Multiple 32 bit boards out there..... build a high quality Delta and you will require 32bit.... there you go ONE reason.

You however are not building a Delta so stay mired in the mud of 8 bit crap needing to recompile for every setting you wish to change
#define stupid = RAMPS

Hopefully the Mods will grow some balls and step all over this thread
June 22, 2016 07:17AM
$100 per hour... WOW you must have a amazing salary. Thats 200,000 per year.

And I dont own nor want to own a delta so I dont know about the issues of a ramps1.4 on a delta. However if you did read the whole post you would have realized I dont have a delta...

And agian, THIS IS A ONE TIME ISSUE. In my dozens of boards I used I NEVER had such an issue. If installed a duet on every printer I made then I would be spending thousands of dollars on just the boards... You clearly dont understand how calculating material costs and labor works. If a manufacturer sends you the wrong item. And you calculated the time and labor it took to repackage the item to sent it back, for every other order. Then you clearly are doing everything wrong wrong.

YOU are the reason why no one owns a 3d printer. Ask anyone, "why don't you get a 3d printer?" First response, "too expensive" WHEN YOU CAN GET ONE FOR $200 ON EBAY. Pre Build, fully functional, and with a bit of tweaking its the same exact quality as a flashford. A $900 piece of junk that's uncustomizable and unmoddable like the 3d cube printer.

"Ramps is absolutely crap to me, it needs to be recompiled for settings changes and that needs software i don't want on my pc nor wish to learn."

Thats embarrassing. Arduino is used on many other projects. If you only use it on 3d printing then please leave this hobby. The whole point of the 3d printing community is to build and learn more. The whole point schools are gaining 3d printers IS TO LEARN. Ever since I got a 3d printer I have learned so much in electronics, plastic engineering, and 3d modeling, that I will never gain that much knowledge in a college. In fact I have college students coming to me to 3d print then object as they own a cube 3d printer and the filament is so expensive so its cheaper to order it from me. Plus I have a larger print volume. YOU are the reason people dont buy 3d printers. Because they are too afraid to learn and its "too expensive"

Please moderators. Fix this forum back to the good ol days of reprap.
Make forums.reprap.org great agian.
June 22, 2016 09:38AM
rowow

Donald????

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 22, 2016 10:00AM
the_digital_dentist
rowow

Donald????

Haha yes. Although I dont support him I like that slogan.
June 22, 2016 11:02AM
Rowow.

You really should pull your head in

Yep !00 to 120 an hour for my technical expertise.... I have been doing electronic design and micro processor programming probably since you have been a child in nappies... Ardino is not the only kid on the block and I moved to 32 bit processors years ago and preparing to move to 64bit in the near future.
When I looked at the state of controller design a couple years ago in the 3D world it could be best described as primitive and is truly the real barrier to people not in the Adriano ecosystem
Good luck to you and all the other hobbies ts that are, you have a cheap source of electronics to run your machines, others would much prefer things easy to use web management and control and please don't point me at octoprint... It's really not that great.

It's people like myself with significant experience outside of this hobby with electronic design that RepRap should actively encourage and drive the future... I designed and built my own delta and have been redoing all the files in fusion360 as parametric designs to release the design to the community but why the hell should I bother. I'm doing this in the spirit of the community.

You seem only to be able to rant and rave

Btw, my Flashforge creator pro has been significantly modded now and runs full metal hot ends and remains one of only two printer models I know the can simultaneously print two objects at the same time using both extruders.
It has near 5000 print hours on it mainly in abs.
Again just because you can't afford it or want to pay for it doesn't make it crap.
June 22, 2016 03:48PM
rowow

One reason RAMPS is cheap, it's open source. Which let's anyone produce it, even if they don't use the correct parts. When 1.4 was released, it was around $100 without the Mega, cheaper if you did all the soldering yourself. The specs called for it to be able to run on 24vdc, but practically all the cheap ones available today can't do that.

Most of the 32-bit hardware isn't opensource, since they want to control the quality of the product and not have it produced cheaply in China with their variable quality problems. Look what happened with the RAMPS-FD, a Chinese company started making them before the design was finalized and it's a fire hazard.

When someone is only looking at the price of something and it has to be cheap, they sure can make excuses to not use something. Those $200 3d printers are usually not able to print anything without a lot of work and they usually get the most "help my printer doesn't work" posts here, if they even get that far.
June 22, 2016 03:57PM
stephenrc
rowow

One reason RAMPS is cheap, it's open source. Which let's anyone produce it, even if they don't use the correct parts. When 1.4 was released, it was around $100 without the Mega, cheaper if you did all the soldering yourself. The specs called for it to be able to run on 24vdc, but practically all the cheap ones available today can't do that.

Most of the 32-bit hardware isn't opensource, since they want to control the quality of the product and not have it produced cheaply in China with their variable quality problems. Look what happened with the RAMPS-FD, a Chinese company started making them before the design was finalized and it's a fire hazard.

When someone is only looking at the price of something and it has to be cheap, they sure can make excuses to not use something. Those $200 3d printers are usually not able to print anything without a lot of work and they usually get the most "help my printer doesn't work" posts here, if they even get that far.

Just looked up the Ramps FD. Really disappointed that it poses a fire risk. Do you know when the V2 will come out? It looks like a great design.

And I do have to agree that those $200 printers do have their issues (as my very first printer where one of them) however not much work is needed to get them up and running, and usually is most of the time calibrating, which is on every printer. Although with my first printer they used crimped connections on the motors and one of them where loose, it took me a while to figure out the issue but when I did it was also a great learning experience on learning how stepper motors work and such. Best purchase that I ever made.
June 22, 2016 04:28PM
Don't know on a new version of a RAMPS-FD, it's development sort of restarted recently. There are threads in the RAMPS section.

Another is the RADDS, about $60, and you need an Arduino Due for it.
June 22, 2016 05:12PM
stephenrc
Most of the 32-bit hardware isn't opensource, since they want to control the quality of the product and not have it produced cheaply in China with their variable quality problems.

I am sorry, but you could not be more wrong. The original 32-bit electronics designs (Duet, Smoothieboard and now Gen 7 32-bit) are open source designs. It's the Chinese near-clones of Smoothieboard that are closed source.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 22, 2016 05:20PM
I really like the RADDS due to the 3 extruders and 24v capability.

The reason why I would like more extruders is for the diamond hotend. However I would also like 1 more extruder for support material. So I would need a stepper expander like this [www.ebay.com]

Finally thanks for telling be about the Arduino Due! I dont understand why more people dont use it. Its compatible with ramps1.4 and is only a few dollars extra compared to the mega2560.
June 22, 2016 06:02PM
rowow

As you are a cheapskate, you will find the cost of Arduino Due + RADDS + decent stepper driver modules far too expensive for your liking.

rowow
Finally thanks for telling be about the Arduino Due! I dont understand why more people dont use it. Its compatible with ramps1.4 and is only a few dollars extra compared to the mega2560.

If you believe it is compatible with RAMPS 1.4, you are sadly mistaken.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 22, 2016 06:41PM
dc42
rowow

As you are a cheapskate, you will find the cost of Arduino Due + RADDS + decent stepper driver modules far too expensive for your liking.

rowow

If you believe it is compatible with RAMPS 1.4, you are sadly mistaken.

As you are an ignorant user who cant read english you will find I already explained that the arduino due is only a few dollars more then the mega2560, and the radds is only 60$ vs your $150 board... And stepsticks cost $2 a pop...

As for compatibality
[forums.reprap.org]

***EDIT*** After further research they are not compatible without a bit of tweaking. Which I am fine with

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 06:48PM by rowow.
June 22, 2016 07:06PM
dc42
stephenrc
Most of the 32-bit hardware isn't opensource, since they want to control the quality of the product and not have it produced cheaply in China with their variable quality problems.

I am sorry, but you could not be more wrong. The original 32-bit electronics designs (Duet, Smoothieboard and now Gen 7 32-bit) are open source designs. It's the Chinese near-clones of Smoothieboard that are closed source.

Your right, change that to one. Missed that part for the Duet on the wiki, dang glasses.
June 22, 2016 07:54PM
Sheesh! Calm down folks! Name-calling isn't helping.

$150 is I think a fair price for dc42's board. You have to pay to be at the 'bleeding edge', because there's only a few people to share the design costs. It's not fair to expect dc42 to design a board for free so that the Chinese can make a profit by mass-producing it so that *I* can get it cheaply. OTOH, I won't be buying one, because (a) I can manage with an Arduino+RAMPS for now, and (b) I expect that a better design will become available soon, and (c) I can spend that money on something else.

So, apparently, I am a cheapskate; I have a secondhand PrintrBot and a cheap-as-possible Chinese delta and a RAMPS/Mega2560 for my next printer and a bunch of other parts in my garage. That's fine. The reason I'm a cheapskate (apart from being a miserly character) is that this is a *hobby* to me. It just has to squirt some seratonin into my brain now and then. For me, that means it has to be fun and interesting and I learn stuff. Overcoming the limitations of whatever I have is important; if I had a printer that printed twice as fast and twice as reliably with twice the quality, I'd just want to make something 4 times as big and complex. My printer doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, although I want to at least be in sight of the leading edge. I don't have to put a dollar value on the hours I spend fiddling with a printer. It doesn't have to be value-for-money, except in comparison with buying a new couch or a bottle of wine or some other seratonin-producing activity.

Other people are different. Some people are treating this as a job. That's fine for them, but I already have a job, which involves deadlines and money and pressure and stuff like that. I don't want another job (unless it means I can ditch the first job). If this was a job, I'd weigh up the costs vs the benefits and maybe just buy the latest and greatest. If something broke, I'd pay someone like aussiephil to fix it for me, ASAP. Or maybe I'd buy 10 cheap Chinese printers, expect 2 to be good, 5 to be mediocre, 3 to be broken at any one time, and hire rowow to keep them running. Either way, I'd pass the costs onto my customers, and I wouldn't learn anything much about calibrating printers and driving steppers and a million other possibly-worthless things.

Let's just get some signal into this noise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 07:56PM by frankvdh.
June 22, 2016 08:04PM
frankvdh

$150 is I think a fair price for dc42's board. You have to pay to be at the 'bleeding edge', because there's only a few people to share the design costs. It's not fair to expect dc42 to design a board for free so that the Chinese can make a profit by mass-producing it so that *I* can get it cheaply. OTOH, I won't be buying one, because (a) I can manage with an Arduino+RAMPS for now, and (b) I expect that a better design will become available soon, and (c) I can spend that money on something else.

So, apparently, I am a cheapskate; I have a secondhand PrintrBot and a cheap-as-possible Chinese delta and a RAMPS/Mega2560 for my next printer and a bunch of other parts in my garage. That's fine. The reason I'm a cheapskate (apart from being a miserly character) is that this is a *hobby* to me. It just has to squirt some seratonin into my brain now and then. For me, that means it has to be fun and interesting and I learn stuff. Overcoming the limitations of whatever I have is important; if I had a printer that printed twice as fast and twice as reliably with twice the quality, I'd just want to make something 4 times as big and complex. My printer doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, although I want to at least be in sight of the leading edge. I don't have to put a dollar value on the hours I spend fiddling with a printer. It doesn't have to be value-for-money, except in comparison with buying a new couch or a bottle of wine or some other seratonin-producing activity.

Other people are different. Some people are treating this as a job. That's fine for them, but I already have a job, which involves deadlines and money and pressure and stuff like that. I don't want another job (unless it means I can ditch the first job). If this was a job, I'd weigh up the costs vs the benefits and maybe just buy the latest and greatest. If something broke, I'd pay someone like aussiephil to fix it for me, ASAP. Or maybe I'd buy 10 cheap Chinese printers, expect 2 to be good, 5 to be mediocre, 3 to be broken at any one time, and hire rowow to keep them running. Either way, I'd pass the costs onto my customers, and I wouldn't learn anything much about calibrating printers and driving steppers and a million other possibly-worthless things.

Fully agree with everything you said.
June 22, 2016 08:11PM
rowow
As you are an ignorant user who cant read english you will find I already explained that the arduino due is only a few dollars more then the mega2560, and the radds is only 60$ vs your $150 board... And stepsticks cost $2 a pop...

How much does a genuine Arduino Due cost in your country? $30? [except they have been discontinued now]. And if you only pay $2 for stepsticks, you can expect a lot of failures, so better budget for about twice the number you need. Add the RADDS and you've already exceeded $100, and you still don't have properly-cooled drivers, or software-controlled motor currents, or a web interface. Maybe you have a lot of free time on your hands to spend on getting things working, but to a lot of people, spending that extra $50 to avoid a lot of hassle is worth it.

June 22, 2016 09:11PM
dc42
rowow

How much does a genuine Arduino Due cost in your country? $30? [except they have been discontinued now]. And if you only pay $2 for stepsticks, you can expect a lot of failures, so better budget for about twice the number you need. Add the RADDS and you've already exceeded $100, and you still don't have properly-cooled drivers, or software-controlled motor currents, or a web interface. Maybe you have a lot of free time on your hands to spend on getting things working, but to a lot of people, spending that extra $50 to avoid a lot of hassle is worth it.

$13 including shipping to anywhere in the world
[www.ebay.com]

And for the $2 stepsticks. I never have any issues with them. Never had heating issues (if you put a small 40mm fan on top) Used them on all my boards and it works fantastically.

And for software controller motor currents... Who gives a shit? Just twist the pot while the motor is running and literally in 5 seconds its done. Yeah I did burn a couple sticks by doing that. But agian, its only $2 and 5 seconds of your time...
Web interface? WHO GIVES A SHIT??? Install a full graphics display with SD and you can run it without a computer (especially since my computer uses more power then my printer...) or if you need to run it remotely for some darn reason... Get a cheap raspberry pi clone with octoprint and tada. All your problems are solved.
June 22, 2016 10:10PM
Found a cheaper and simpler option for a web interface on a radds board.

[forums.reprap.org]

Rather then spending $40 for a raspberry pi. You only need a $5 wifi module (ESP8266) and a few resistors.
June 23, 2016 04:24AM
frankvdh

Been trying to, but as per the post two up the ranting and raving continues. There is only one side and that's rowow's side................

Rowow - show me a successful 24hr plus print from one of your dozen printers..... your continued ranting shows you to be just what you really are..... one of those fanboi zealots that can only see one way, they exist everywhere on all forums and you are the classic example, We have accepted that your a cheapskate (oh wait... frugal sensible person) that will never move past the cheapest option.... FINE but stop telling the rest of us we are stupid for choosing to use what WE consider a far better and professional set of components.
June 23, 2016 06:25AM
rowow

[forums.reprap.org]

Rather then spending $40 for a raspberry pi. You only need a $5 wifi module (ESP8266) and a few resistors.

That will give you a web interface, but without gcode file upload to your SD card at anything resembling a reasonable speed. If you want that, you are back to spending $40 on a RPi. Add that to the ~$90 you've already spent, and you have now spent ~$130. You are only $20 short of the price of a Duet, with its properly-cooled drivers, adequate 5V power supply, software-settable stepper motor currents, and other features including configuration file editing and firmware updating in the web interface.

June 23, 2016 06:42AM
aussiephil
frankvdh

Been trying to, but as per the post two up the ranting and raving continues. There is only one side and that's rowow's side................

Rowow - show me a successful 24hr plus print from one of your dozen printers..... your continued ranting shows you to be just what you really are..... one of those fanboi zealots that can only see one way, they exist everywhere on all forums and you are the classic example, We have accepted that your a cheapskate (oh wait... frugal sensible person) that will never move past the cheapest option.... FINE but stop telling the rest of us we are stupid for choosing to use what WE consider a far better and professional set of components.

24 hours? How about 1/2 months of strait 3d printing. I had a order of 40 pieces of these weird block things that took 20 hours to print each one... That was one of the best experiences in my life as it really put my printer to the limit.
June 23, 2016 06:44AM
dc42
rowow

[forums.reprap.org]

That will give you a web interface, but without gcode file upload to your SD card at anything resembling a reasonable speed. If you want that, you are back to spending $40 on a RPi. Add that to the ~$90 you've already spent, and you have now spent ~$130. You are only $20 short of the price of a Duet, with its properly-cooled drivers, adequate 5V power supply, software-settable stepper motor currents, and other features including configuration file editing and firmware updating in the web interface.

Reasonable speed?... Is waiting 5 seconds to much for you?
June 23, 2016 07:33AM
rowow
dc42
rowow

[forums.reprap.org]

5 seconds upload time for a reasonable sized print file would be very acceptable. Let me know when you've achieved that. Hint: one of the posts in that thread mentions 3Kbytes/sec upload speed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 07:34AM by dc42.

June 23, 2016 07:41AM
dc42
rowow
dc42
rowow

[forums.reprap.org]

5 seconds upload time for a reasonable sized print file would be very acceptable. Let me know when you've achieved that. Hint: one of the posts in that thread mentions 3Kbytes/sec upload speed.

3kb/s? HAHA he has more issues with his computer to be worried about then his printer. Most sd cards are 6mbs with some being 90mbs
Although I purchased my 3d cards from china and they are 4mb/s winking smiley

No but seriously if the guy has 3kb/s then he needs to check out his computer...

**EDIT**
Forgot to add the source
[www.sdcard.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 07:42AM by rowow.
June 23, 2016 08:14AM
Why waste money buying electronic components when you can easily make them yourself and get exact values that you need instead of being forced to use "standard" component values?

DIY resistors: [www.troelsgravesen.dk] and [www.instructables.com]
DIY capacitors: [www.youtube.com] and [www.instructables.com]

Connecting all those parts together is usually done using a printed circuit board. Thousands of hobbyists make thier own PCBs every day:
[www.youtube.com] [www.instructables.com]

Some people even make their own semiconductors. Imagine the savings if you could make the CPU and stepper drivers yourself!
[www.youtube.com] and [www.instructables.com]
Why leave semiconductor manufacturing to the poor quality processes used by big companies- if you DIY you have complete control over the quality!

Some would argue that a PCB is a total waste of money. All it does is replace cheap wires with expensive fiberglass and copper foil that has to be custom etched and drilled. How do you think they wired things before PCBs were invented? Everyone knows electronic stuff worked better and more reliably in "the good old days". That was because they used point to point wiring and vacuum tubes. I have radios made in the 1930's that still work. Show me anything made using semiconductors on PCBs that works even 20 years later...
[makezine.com]

Vacuum tubes are even easier/cheaper to make than semiconductors: [makezine.com]

June 23, 2016 08:23AM
the_digital_dentist
Why waste money buying electronic components when you can easily make them yourself and get exact values that you need instead of being forced to use "standard" component values?

DIY resistors: [www.troelsgravesen.dk] and [www.instructables.com]
DIY capacitors: [www.youtube.com] and [www.instructables.com]

Connecting all those parts together is usually done using a printed circuit board. Thousands of hobbyists make thier own PCBs every day:
[www.youtube.com] [www.instructables.com]

Some people even make their own semiconductors. Imagine the savings if you could make the CPU and stepper drivers yourself!
[www.youtube.com] and [www.instructables.com]
Why leave semiconductor manufacturing to the poor quality processes used by big companies- if you DIY you have complete control over the quality!

Some would argue that a PCB is a total waste of money. All it does is replace cheap wires with expensive fiberglass and copper foil that has to be custom etched and drilled. How do you think they wired things before PCBs were invented? Everyone knows electronic stuff worked better and more reliably in "the good old days". That was because they used point to point wiring and vacuum tubes. I have radios made in the 1930's that still work. Show me anything made using semiconductors on PCBs that works even 20 years later...
[makezine.com]

Vacuum tubes are even easier/cheaper to make than semiconductors: [makezine.com]

Because raw pcb boards and etching chemicals is more expensive then a $5 ramps board...
But let me further break down your illogical claims.

I can take it to the other level and say "why own a 3d printer and print things yourself? Rather then making a model of a replacement car part and printing it. I could spend $20 for a replacement part and have it being brand new and shiny with no issues.
Answer: Because its cheaper

Why own a stupid reprap printer that can only print in .1mm layers when you can get a $50,000 objet printer then prints in micron resolution.
Answer: Because its cheaper and most people DONT GIVE A SHIT about micron resolution

That's a quick example on how ridiculous you sound. You can over exaggerate anything but it only makes you look like a hypocrite...
June 23, 2016 08:43AM
You made exactly the same point I did. It's cheaper to print an auto part than to buy it. That's why you make a printer, and it's why you don't buy a printer like Objet that prints in 5 um layers.

The same can be said of resistors, capacitors, etc. You can make them more cheaply than you can buy them. You can use materials that people normally throw away. I get paper delivered to my mail box everyday that I just throw away. I have aluminum foil on big rolls in my kitchen.

Yes, making PCBs takes chemicals that aren't always obtainable for free, and then you have to drill holes. That's why I suggested point to point wiring. It's much simpler, and cheaper. You don't have to waste money on chemicals to etch a PCB. You don't have to waste money on a drill bit or a drill, either.

June 23, 2016 08:55AM
Resistor: <1 cent
Minimum wage: 7.25
That's 12 cents per minute
Or 1 cent per 20 seconds...

If you can make me 1 resistor for 20 seconds then that's one thing. However you still need to solder it all, make the silicone chip, and so on and so forth... And if you can make that all in 1 hour. Then im all ears and you got yourself a business partner. However you cant... And in fact people DID solder their own boards together back in the day. And it still came out to be cheaper then buying a ramps board as back in the day they where expensive. However time has moved on and you can get a board for $5, or pocket change for most people...

What you can do is buy a $5 board, modify it under 30 minutes, and you got yourself a ramps board that's compatible with a arduino due... Far cheaper then $150...

Could you now please be serious and stop with this fooling around...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login