Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hdpe does not rest on the bed?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
hdpe does not rest on the bed?
October 19, 2007 03:46PM
the plastic does not rest on the bed. it is curling up in the air. I increased the temperatures from 140C to 160C, but always the same effect. (you can see a picture at [reprap.nomatic.org].) which parameter do I have to change?
Re: hdpe does not rest on the bed?
October 19, 2007 04:12PM
What did you make the "bed" out of? I use ordinary paper-bound foamboard for mine and it sticks. Try reading Nophead's blog at [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]. He's had the most recent experience with extruding HDPE. You could also look in my blog at [3dreplicators.com] but the blog entries for my extruding HDPE are buried pretty deep in my blog. Nop's are more readily to hand and much more useful to a new experimenter like yourself.

You need to be talking about 180-195C, too.
Anonymous User
October 19, 2007 05:20PM
hi forrest,

I use a MDF-board. thanks for the links. the documentation from nophead is very interesting. I will try to increase the temperature.
October 20, 2007 06:20AM
andreas,
It looks like the head is a little bit too high. It needs to be slightly less than the diameter of the filament above the work surface.

You might also need to slow down the travel and or increase the temperature. The hotter it is the faster you can extrude and still get it to stick.

Foam board works much better than MDF but it needs replacing regularly.

Here is where I tried lots of different surfaces: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Anonymous User
October 20, 2007 09:21AM
hi nophead,
another perfect report of your experiments. thanks for your good documentations, that really helps a lot!

andreas
October 20, 2007 10:08AM
andreas,
Thanks, I am glad you are finding it useful. I certainly found Forrest's facts and figures helpful to get me started.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login