Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rail Support required

Posted by makerparts 
Rail Support required
March 01, 2016 03:48PM
I see people always mounting a Linear Rail to some extrusion. if the load is light (1kg) and the span is 20 or 30 inches
is full support required? or can it just be supported on ends.. assuming a 20mm rail

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
Re: Rail Support required
March 04, 2016 10:34PM
I am using 16 mm rails that are 800mm long and was also wondering this. Possibly there is a way to tune the bending out with a post gcode editor
March 05, 2016 08:32AM
Only you can decide how much flex is acceptable. How thick will your first layer be? Will your print bed be flat? Is your printer's frame rigid enough?

Calculate beam deflection

The bearing blocks used on linear guides are much higher performance that the bearings that are used on round guide rails. For many printers, only one linear guide has to be used for the X axis instead of using two round rails. That makes everything more compact and usually lower mass.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Anonymous User
March 05, 2016 10:50AM
melb_maker
I am using 16 mm rails that are 800mm long and was also wondering this. Possibly there is a way to tune the bending out with a post gcode editor

Better yet, have the print bed bent in order to compensate the rod bends. Bender from Futurama could do it. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login