Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How can I cut a lead screw in half?

Posted by WalkerMaker 
How can I cut a lead screw in half?
March 31, 2016 01:57PM
I'm going to purchase some lead screws from Open Builds part store, but I don't know how to cut them. So I gotta ask, does anyone know how to do this? I was thinking of getting two 500mm length rods and cutting them to 400 mm. Going to use them in an H-bot I've been designing.
Re: How can I cut a lead screw in half?
March 31, 2016 03:05PM
grinding wheel
March 31, 2016 08:26PM
A cut-off wheel on a grinder should work. I cut linear guides that way and those things are about as tough as it gets.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Anonymous User
April 02, 2016 05:59AM
WalkerMaker
I'm going to purchase some lead screws from Open Builds part store, but I don't know how to cut them. So I gotta ask, does anyone know how to do this? I was thinking of getting two 500mm length rods and cutting them to 400 mm. Going to use them in an H-bot I've been designing.

Most probably they are soft steel. So just a good hacksaw.
April 02, 2016 08:23PM
If you have a file handy, check them for hardness: rub the file on the end of the leadscrew in an inconspicuous spot, and if it digs in and, well, files it; it's not hard: any metal cutting saw (like a hacksaw, bandsaw, etc) will cut it. If it skates off and won't cut; then you need an abrasive solution; like the angle grinder mentioned above, or an abrasive blade in a chop saw, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login