Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to attach laser cut wood pulleys to motor shaft?

Posted by jeffwilson 
How to attach laser cut wood pulleys to motor shaft?
October 28, 2010 12:36PM
I'm new to reprap, half done my first Mendel build. I got the techzone laser cut (wood) kit unassembled. I'm looking for direction of how to attach the belt pulleys to the motor shafts.

The pulleys have smooth inside surface that loosly fits over the keyed shaft and spins freely. I see no mounting hardware with the kit, and have not seen a forum topic discussing it.

I was thinking of JB Welding them on, but that's permanent, makes me nervous if it comes out bad. Any ideas or links to where this is already discussed?
Re: How to attach laser cut wood pulleys to motor shaft?
October 29, 2010 10:41AM
Jeff,

We use polyeurethane glue, like gorilla glue. It bonds well, but can still be removed from the metal shaft later if you need to.

You should have extra gears there, sometimes you need to glue two of them together to make it long enough for the installation.
Re: How to attach laser cut wood pulleys to motor shaft?
October 29, 2010 04:24PM
I'll second the gorilla glue for use with the wood pulleys.

If you have a good drill press you can also drill through the pulley
and motor shaft and use a tension pin for the connection.
I was going to suggest using a key to keep the wood from sliding/spinning, and then I noticed that you state that the motor shafts even have a keyway already present, so the answer should be self-evident. Alternately if your wood won't handle the torque at the key site, you could use that key slot to clamp a metal block onto with a recessed head and press the wood (having a square center hole) snuggly onto the square block...perhaps some elmers or some other glue to make sure it doesn't pop off. Very low tech & it should be reliable.

Just a thought... Is there any effort & interest around here in using metal wire deposited using electron-beam welding? It would be cool to turn wire into metal parts. Even cooler if you could take the basic soup can and cut it into a string/ribbon and/or draw it into wire to feed into a metal part forming reprap. smileys with beer So then you can make tool bits, motors, gears, berings, pistons, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login