Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternative to timing belts

Posted by NuclearNerd 
Alternative to timing belts
February 28, 2011 12:18AM
Question: do the timing belts used in the reprap x/y/z axes present problems for anyone in terms of cost / sourcing or performance?

If so, a cable reel like the following might be of interest. I think something like that could be printed relatively easily. The only potential issue might be the (small?) error caused by the cable movement along the reel.

Re: Alternative to timing belts
February 28, 2011 12:35AM
I see it has been discussed here briefly, and someone's mocked it up. I'm still interested to hear if people would find it valuable enough to warrant a bit of R&D.
March 02, 2011 01:24AM
Belts really aren't that expensive. Just search for "small parts inc" seller on amazon. They carry belts and pulleys there for ridiculously cheap prices. I saw a 21 inch belt for 28 cents, and pulleys for 50 cents. Just make sure you match up the pitches of the pulley and belt.
March 02, 2011 12:22PM
it's another thing you have to buy, which is annoying, but probably not worth the effort to design an alternative. unless, of course, the alternative is more printable.

One alternative i thought about was a knotted string. but it was really just a concept stopgap measure, and would probably take forever to tie all the knots.
March 02, 2011 01:02PM
Or, you could just use ball chain.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 02, 2011 01:26PM
yeah exactly, that's the conclusion that i reached when discussing the knotted string.

I just put a topic up on the mendel forum to discuss using a driveshaft and worm gears to move the z threaded rods, instead of a belt. I don't really have a problem with the belt, but just want to throw the idea out there.
March 29, 2011 01:02PM
salve a tutti !!!!

considerato che sono nuovo nel campo delle reprap ...sto facendo ricerche su eventuale trasmissione degli assi,a barre filettate.....mi piacerebbe sapere da voi, se c'è la possibilità di settare il programma della reprap o eventualmente di sapere le misure delle puleggie dentate dei 3 assi

grazie a tutti !!!

rick76
March 30, 2011 01:06AM
Rick, we speak english in this part of the forum smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 30, 2011 01:17AM
Abbiamo un forum italiano. smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 30, 2011 08:20AM
Google translate seems to work well from Italian to English, much better than German! Here's hoping it works both ways:

Rick,
Yes you can change the steps per mm of all the axes in configuration.h in the firmware. Threaded rods will be slow though for X & Y. The pulleys have 8 teeth at 5mm pitch giving 40mm travel per revolution. The Z-axis has 21 teeth pulleys and 1.25mm pitch threaded rod giving 1.25 * 8/21 mm per revolution.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 01, 2011 06:43AM
Thanks to all ... and good job guys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login