Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for conical spring

Posted by RickRap 
Looking for conical spring
April 09, 2017 10:44AM
The typical spring you seen on print beds is a straight compression spring. These are ok and inexpensive. But a better spring is a cone-shaped spring. The wide base helps a great deal with keeping the bed from shifting plus it looks bitchin. In the states, you can find these at Home Depot for around $1 manufactured by Crown Bolt. That's not bad, but inconvenient if you want to buy a couple hundred of them. Every other place I've looked on the web (i.e. Zoro) want $5 for these types of springs.

Any suggestions on where else I can look? I feel like I'm not asking DR. Google the right questions. I used to have the label for the ones I purchased from HD, but even googling the specific dimensions did not turn up what I was looking for.

I design every day. You should too.
Re: Looking for conical spring
April 09, 2017 11:18AM
Are you looking for something like this?

[www.ganter-griff.de]

Gruß
Niko

NXD evo (Duet Wifi, RepRap Firmware 3.1.1, Duet 3d smart effektor & Haydn Huntley Magrods, Bondtech BMG (flying) extruder.

April 09, 2017 12:28PM
The springs aren't there to provide lateral stability, only vertical force to keep the bed against pushed up against the heads of the leveling screws. Lateral stability comes from driving the leveling screws through a hole in a block that grips the screw tightly. If your bed is wobbling on the leveling screws, the screw holes in the bed support structure are too loose. It would be better to fix the actual problem that to try to band-aid it with a conical spring. OTOH, most 3D printers are already full of band-aids. Maybe one more wouldn't hurt...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 20, 2017 03:14PM
I didn't mean to sound like the springs were providing lateral support. I was more referring to any shifting that could occur while adjusting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login