Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's Wrong With This Picture...

Posted by gtj 
Re: What's Wrong With This Picture...
August 18, 2017 10:36AM
gtj

Oh yeah, this would be a side experiment completely separate from the build. Maybe I'll just patent the idea and hand it off to a patent troll. smiling smiley

don't you bloody dare! smiling smiley [www.cloudflare.com]

makerbot pissed off enough people already after they patented prior-art *public* discussions - and work by other people - in order to swindle^Wraise VC funds (the US is where "intangible" assets have "value"... really really bad idea..)

[traverseda.wordpress.com]
gtj
August 20, 2017 02:02PM
lkcl
gtj

Oh yeah, this would be a side experiment completely separate from the build. Maybe I'll just patent the idea and hand it off to a patent troll. smiling smiley

don't you bloody dare! smiling smiley [www.cloudflare.com]

makerbot pissed off enough people already after they patented prior-art *public* discussions - and work by other people - in order to swindle^Wraise VC funds (the US is where "intangible" assets have "value"... really really bad idea..)

[traverseda.wordpress.com]

Heh, don't worry. I work on open-source software for a living. I'm not about to bite the hand that feeds me.
August 20, 2017 03:18PM
gtj

Heh, don't worry. I work on open-source software for a living. I'm not about to bite the hand that feeds me.

whewww smiling smiley oh cool, me too (i started samba-tng, did all the reverse-engineering that was the centre of the fuss on the joint EU and DoJ monopoly investigation into microsoft, if you remember that) - what's your story?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2017 03:19PM by lkcl.
gtj
September 04, 2017 10:34PM
lkcl
gtj

whewww smiling smiley oh cool, me too (i started samba-tng, did all the reverse-engineering that was the centre of the fuss on the joint EU and DoJ monopoly investigation into microsoft, if you remember that) - what's your story?

I HATE when life gets in the way of fun. Anyway I'm back. I'm a core developer on the Asterisk Project so my livelyhood is directly dependent on open source software and the open source software is directly dependent on me. smiling smiley

I've made some progress, mostly between at 3am and 5am. Got the rails and some 3D printable bearing material in from Igus and a few extrusions in from 8020 so I'm going to start a new thread in the aluminum extrusion and start adding some pics of how I got where I am now.
September 07, 2017 04:19AM
I have been looking for the same set up, used in plotters BTW. Igus bearings are indeed the way to go as the lateral rods have to guide and turn. Indeed Igus carbon tubes have all the qualities but the price. The cross can be made with only two rods, the offset of the print head should not be an issue.
I tested my Igus bearings on my Geetech Prusa and am happy with them. I published them on Thingiverse.
As for the moving mass, I am down to 250g (direct extruder, hot end etc...). Could shed some more weight with pancake motor. I don't like the Bowden set up.
Seems you are on the right track then smiling smiley
gtj
September 12, 2017 10:20PM
With 2 rods for each axis, I'm at 275g (without hotend of course) but since I'm driving the X and Y with independent steppers fixed to the frame each stepper actually has to move only about 220g...the center carriage, 1 pair of rods, and their rail supports. Right now, my MP Select MINI is throwing fits so until I figure out what's going on, I can't print any parts or make any more progress.
gtj
February 11, 2018 11:09AM
Just as a follow up, I've started a build log...
[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login