Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wrestling with McWire frame

Posted by bobt 
wrestling with McWire frame
January 05, 2008 05:18PM
I have just finished putting my RepStrap McWire frame together. That is the pipe part. Less see what it took to do it. 2 pipe wrenches (spanners) one in each hand then 1 hand for the pipe locking stuff and 1 hand for the magnetic angle meter to make it straight. HEY!! Wait a minute I haven't that many hands. So I went back and slowly put the connections together putting pipe locking stuff on each connection and adjusting it all on the top of my table saw ( real flat surface ). After that was all done I looked over an realized that the 1/2 inch bolts were setting on the corner of the table saw. And to my horror I realized that I had not drilled the holes on the flange out to fit the bolts (Yipes....). So quickly removed the flange and cleaned out the treads so that I could put it back together later. Went over to the drill press and chucked up a 1/2 inch drill. Lots of cutting oil, smoke and noise later all the holes have been drilled. I then went back to the frame and just treaded the flange on to hold it in position. I will tread lock it back on later after a nap. Stupid wrenches ( spanners ). Well at least I am one step closer to putting it all together. JUST REMEMBER to drill the holes first.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2008 05:20PM by Robert Teeter.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
Re: wrestling with McWire frame
January 05, 2008 06:48PM
Bob,

I haven't bothered with the thread lock. Didn't seem to need it. I put things together all by hand and then checked alignments and fiddled with a couple of pipe wrenches till things were right. I suppose I could JB weld things in some way later if it become necessary but I don't think it will. My machine isn't going to be used for much but FDM. No machining, so no crazy forces.

Demented
January 05, 2008 09:35PM
I only thought about Zach's suggestion of thread lock because the latest Harbor Freight Catalog showed up the other day. 1/4 inch Trim Router (item. 44914-2JRcool smiley is on sale for $19.99 . And it appears that I just cannot pass this kind of deal up. I have finally figured out one rule for this.

If the router goes MAJOR -(minus) Z axis movement DO NOT move the X or Y axis or you will cut your machine in half. (OOPS).

It weighs in at 2.5 pounds. Might be fun to try beside I just need to buy another tool for this.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
January 05, 2008 11:07PM
Thats perfect for the cnc router i'm building!

Jay
January 08, 2008 11:09PM
Ah, then you too would be interested in Fonly lathe also!

[www.btinternet.com]

It is most awesome. I'm building one now myself.

Here are some pictures of the little bit I've done so far.

[picasaweb.google.com]

Also, consider going the used router direction. You can often pick up routers used at hock-shops or garage sales for cheaper. Besides, you'll feel better about tearing it up if it costs less!

Demented
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login