Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ball Bearings...

Posted by ampapa 
Ball Bearings...
March 02, 2018 07:17AM
If I were going to replace some ball bearings in linear slides where would one source those from?

ampapa,
Re: Ball Bearings...
March 02, 2018 07:27AM
The best place to get them is from the manufacturer of the linear guide.

Linear guides aren't a random collection of parts. They are (supposed to be) engineered systems in which the shape and size of the races and the tolerances of fit between the races and balls are carefully controlled with precision grinding and careful selection of the balls. That's why linear guides cost more than other linear bearing systems.

OTOH, if you have cheapo HiWin knockoffs, check your local bike shop...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 02, 2018 08:15AM
the_digital_dentist
The best place to get them is from the manufacturer of the linear guide.

Linear guides aren't a random collection of parts. They are (supposed to be) engineered systems in which the shape and size of the races and the tolerances of fit between the races and balls are carefully controlled with precision grinding and careful selection of the balls. That's why linear guides cost more than other linear bearing systems.

OTOH, if you have cheapo HiWin knockoffs, check your local bike shop...

The chinese ones are a random collection of parts !

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
March 02, 2018 08:50AM
That sounds like a great reason not to buy them.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 02, 2018 03:15PM
There isn't really any reason why you would want to replace balls with new ones of the same size. If your existing balls are damaged the rest of the bearing surfaces are almost certainly trashed as well.

The interchangeable series of linear guides and ballscrews generally use nominal balls which can be replaced without issue. Hobbyists sometimes measure the play in Chinese 1605 ballscrews then repack them with oversized balls to make them tighter.

Non-interchangeable guides and ballscrews often achieve their final preload by selecting the right size ball from a series of choices that might only be a few microns apart. These are still replaceable, assuming you can measure the balls accurately enough to get the correct replacement. (Pretty much the only reason this is done is if you accidentally spill the balls of a working bearing.)

McMaster sells balls and you can also get them off Ebay and such. [www.mcmaster.com]
March 03, 2018 08:02AM
Yeah, so these are some cheapo chines rails that I thought I might drop some balls in too see if the movement improves... if not no worries. I think they missed the "careful selection of the balls"...

So do they manufacture a ball to fit a rail, measuring each carriage to the rail and then adding the balls that fits? I would assume they manufacture all parts separately and assemble.

I'm guessing that some of these balls are just not round...

ampapa,

[EDIT]
Ball diameter is 2.37mm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 08:40AM by ampapa.
March 03, 2018 01:45PM
The cheap guides are manufactured separately then assembled without adjustment, which is why they are interchangable. More expensive guides are measured and parts are chosen or adjusted to match.

Your balls are almost certainly 3/32" = 2.38125mm because the Chinese should be using standard sizes to save costs. Its hard to measure balls with calipers since the jaws will rack, you really need a micrometer to do it with confidence.

[www.mcmaster.com]
March 04, 2018 08:13AM
March 15, 2018 05:23PM
Just to close the loop on the idea.. definite quality difference on the ball bearings but no real improvement in the motion.

ampapa,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login