Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Meanwell Power Supply

Posted by rotten_carrot 
Meanwell Power Supply
March 25, 2018 06:00PM
Greetings one and all.

So I have myself a problem which I am aware may be due to my lack of understanding with regards to my newly arrived Meanwell SPV-300-24. The problem being that I can't get it to output anything other than 0.8v but don't want to tinker too much in case I need to return it. Given that this is the first 24v PSU I have owned and the first PSU without a 110v/240v switch I was hoping someone with a bit more experience could advice me. My understanding is that the PSU is able to switch between the two without a manual prompt. I am in the UK with 230v if this is an important point.

Essentially it has the three input terminals you would recognise (namely L, N and E), two V+, two V-, 1xRC and 1xPV complete the output side. I have checked and double checked my mains wire cable and verified that it both works and is correctly attached (I even powered up an idol 12v supply with it). When I turn on the mains switch nothing much seems to happen. Unfortunately there is no power on/off LED but there is certainly no noise or fan activity but when I check any combination of V+ and V- I do record an output of 0.8v which while not of much use to me I do see mentioned in the online data sheet (http://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/D400/SPV-300-SPEC.pdf) regarding Remote Control but that is about it. I am at a bit of a loss so any help what so ever would be gratefully received even if it begins with 'you're an idiot....."
Re: Meanwell Power Supply
March 26, 2018 04:37AM
There is a 110/220V switch inside the housing. A yellow sticker on the housing indicates where. It can be reached without opening the housing.
There is a green LED next to the V-adjust potmeter. It should be ON as soon as you plug in the wall socket.

I'm afraid your PSU is dead.
VDX
March 26, 2018 05:26AM
... as I read the datasheet correct, this is a "full AC range" input capable of 110 and 235VAC without switching.

Could be, you have to apply +5V to "PV" to get 100% of the output ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 26, 2018 10:13AM
How about putting a wire or a push button (switch NC) between pin RC and ground (V-) ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 10:19AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
March 26, 2018 10:56AM
From what I can tell you need to apply 5V between PV and -V from an external source, but the datasheet is fairly vague.
March 26, 2018 11:35AM
Thank you for the replies so far thumbs up

o_lampe - No, I definately don't have a 110v/220v switch on this model and no LED but you may be correct that the thing is dead!

VDX - Agreed regarding the "full AC range" but adding +5v to "PV" sadly didn't have any effect however adding +5v to "RC" produced a very inconsistent 15v or so from the RC and V+ or V- terminals....

MKSA - Again I'm afraid this didn't do anything but thanks.

It's not often you regret not skimping and buying the "proper" thing but having had no reply from either Meanwell or the reseller I might have to turn my attention to something a little less reputable - unless there is a greater mind out there?
March 26, 2018 11:52AM
Sorry 691175002 I missed you off my last post. The data sheet is certainly vague! Unfortunately applying 5v between PV and -V just registered the 5v between either -V or +V and PV. However, or frustratingly atleast, with the wire between PV and -V without the external 5v turned on (even though I had already tried this) the PCU fan began running properly for 5 secs or so and then naturally stopped and refuses to do it again!
VDX
March 26, 2018 12:05PM
... you can insert a load between +V and -V, which will draw at least some hundred Milliamperes (e.g. a 24V bulb or power resistor) and connect +5V to "PV" and the GND of the external +5V to -V - this will give you a "working condition" like in the data sheet ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

March 26, 2018 01:22PM
Strange, I was expecting the Remote Control pin to be for a toggle switch to turn the PS on and off.
To require an other 5V power supply to turn it on, may be but not very practical here.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
March 26, 2018 05:22PM
Ok, this gets stranger. Thanks VDK your suggestion achieved the best result yet. 24v fan attached between +V and -V, +5v (Red wire) to PV and GND (White wire) to -V. Turn on 5v power and then PSU and both the 24v fan and the PSU fan rotate as expected but only for a few seconds. Turning off both the 5v and the PSU then turning on only the PSU and again both the 24v fan and internal fan rotate but this time for about 10 seconds and then stop!

MKSA - I've run out of spare 5v supplies that I want to cannibalise but thanks.
VDX
March 26, 2018 06:16PM
... could be, your fan doesn't draw enough current - add something with more power consumption ...

Viktor
--------

March 26, 2018 07:04PM
Thanks VDX I shall try again if I have time tomorrow.
March 27, 2018 03:22AM
I may be totally wrong, but this Meanwell PSU seems to have a auto-regulation for Vout. It needs a feedback line to read the true Vout at consumer level (eliminating voltage drop across the wires )

IDK, which of the RC/PV inputs it is, but with this new bit of information, reading the manual again might give you an idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 03:23AM by o_lampe.
March 27, 2018 07:38AM
Thank you o-lampe and VDX.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything more thirsty that will run on 24v to try and draw a bit more juice out of the system. I did buy the Meanwell to power my Duet board but I'm loathed to connect it up just in case that is problematic! Possible replacement?

[www.ebay.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login