Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CoreXY stepper spacers...

Posted by ampapa 
CoreXY stepper spacers...
March 28, 2018 07:20AM
I don't know what to call them but what are people using for spacing their steppers and pulleys on corexy designs so that the belts are on different paths? Aluminum tubing cut to size?

ampapa,
Re: CoreXY stepper spacers...
March 29, 2018 02:19PM
Bearings, shims, washers and Alu spacers. In the rare case that I don't have those I use printed spacers. Havn't noticed a downside to using printed spacers, but my posts are supported on both sides. If it is a post that is only supported by one side like the one pictured you'll definately want metal.
March 29, 2018 07:49PM
Origamib
If it is a post that is only supported by one side like the one pictured you'll definately want metal to fix that.

Sorry, can't resist. A pulley cantilevered, especially that much, is a bad idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 07:49PM by Trakyan.
March 30, 2018 09:37PM
Thanks for the reply's.

Do they make standards or offsets for 3D printers. metal of course?

ampapa,
March 31, 2018 08:16PM
There isn't really a standard, each design has its own offset to fit around the other parts in the machine. There are aluminium spacers out there for use with openbuilds type wheels you could use.
March 31, 2018 09:06PM
In most cases the spacers are essentially loose and do not contribute any rigidity so the material is irrelevant.

McMaster has spacers in a wide variety of materials and ODs, but I generally prefer the misumi series of part numbers when available: [us.misumi-ec.com]

Misumi has one OD per screw size but provides unified sizes across all three materials and is cheaper. They also have matching part numbers for m/f/mf hexes.
April 03, 2018 05:28PM
I used nylon washers.

Standing the pulley up on a post like your photo shows is guaranteed to flex and tilt the pulley when you tension the belt.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 03, 2018 09:07PM
Thanks for the reply's.

Seems that the most rigid designs involve supporting the post at the top and bottom so I think I'll have to work that into the design somehow.

@the_digital_dentist I'm thinking something along the lines of your design... a caged concept.

ampapa,
April 05, 2018 04:35PM
ampapa

.............Seems that the most rigid designs involve supporting the post at the top and bottom so I think I'll have to work that into the design somehow.

Yes definitely. Then when the shafts are at true right angles to the axes, spacers aren't really needed as the idlers will find their own position on the shaft once the belts are tensioned (although having spacers does make the initial fitting of the belts easier).

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login