Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

re anyone used Trianglelab nozzles?

Posted by modaniel 
re anyone used Trianglelab nozzles?
May 01, 2018 02:56PM
Hello,
Has anyone used triangle lab nozzles? Are they any good?
They are not the cheapest. For example, the hardened steel nozzle is only half the price of E3D: [www.aliexpress.com]
cheers,
Daniel

p.s. sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum. If so, please let me know which the right one is.
Re: re anyone used Trianglelab nozzles?
May 02, 2018 02:58AM
Only half the price ! Gee, they start to pay working kids, adult's wages ??? What a shame ! smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
May 02, 2018 04:07AM
Joking eye rolling smiley aside I would really appreciate peoples' experiences regarding these nozzles....
May 02, 2018 10:06AM
"no one" has heard of them before..
May 02, 2018 10:12AM
Hmm....
Not the case at all. There is a review of one trianglelab's hotends here. [forums.reprap.org]
June 24, 2018 02:27PM
I've bought a lot of parts from them. They sell good parts. I don't know if they go the extra mile and have the nicest quality. But most people don't have printers good enough for the nozzle to really be the issue... Especially if you're hoping to find something cheaper than half the cost of the official version.
June 30, 2018 05:20PM
very happy with Trianglelabs' products, good quality.
Don't have the nozzle but I use their titan extruders and aero.
December 11, 2018 10:18PM
+ 1,

Their products are far superior to E3D (not that hard really), the bore is perfectly smooth on both nozzle and heat-breaks unlike E3D....
December 12, 2018 03:47PM
Redemptioner
the bore is perfectly smooth on both nozzle and heat-breaks unlike E3D....

The surface roughness of the heatbreak / nozzle is a critical feature of the breaks / nozzles performance. E3D have spoken about this before but having a perfectly smooth break isn't actually the best solution, there's a certain Ra value that seems to work best.

I have just picked up a range of aliexpress V6's and the triangle labs is one of the few with the integrated bowden coupling. Their BMG extruder is also excellent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 03:49PM by Ed3D.
December 13, 2018 02:00AM
Ed3D
The surface roughness of the heatbreak / nozzle is a critical feature of the breaks / nozzles performance. E3D have spoken about this before but having a perfectly smooth break isn't actually the best solution, there's a certain Ra value that seems to work best.

Sorry but that is complete E3D propaganda, E3D has been questioned on this in the past an admitted as much as by saying it's "good enough". This is simply a marketing ploy to cover up the fact they are having their products made for cheap and putting an unbelievable margin on them (“they are poorly finished because we designed it that way”). E3D brand is like ARB brand in 4x4 world, they spend a lot of time and money promoting themselves as a premium brand and people just accept this despite their products being very mediocre compare to many other brands that are often cheaper. Yes this margin potentially help develop new products (would say most is going into marketing) but then again what have they really brought to the industry, a slightly different hotend and potentially a tool changer that most people (95%+) will never bother with…..just another brand trying to rip the people not in the know……

The fact off the matter is, if you can feel the side of your heatbreak with the filament as you pass it through (the little bumps) then the heatbreak is rubbish. I can honestly say I have not bought a single E3D heatbreak that is not poorly finished internally as well as their nozzles and heatbreaks generally being over the bore size you want causing expansion of the filament in the nozzle making it more difficult to change filament (you end up with a couple of millimetres of thicker filament on the end that you have to force through the 2mm PTFE tube causing it to be damaged/roughed up internally). Triangle labs has ZERO roughness and it certainly makes a difference, add to this the fact they use stronger, higher grade metals for their heatbreaks (significantly stronger for the titanium ones comepared to E3D) also means you don't end up with a bent heatbreak during installation or when you have it accidently smash the hotend into the bed. Never bent a triangle labs titanium heat break (bent every E3D one I had), never had a jam with a triangle labs titanium heatbreak (common problem with E3D heatbreaks and their poor cooling fans) and using a triangle labs titanium heatbreaks means changing the filament comes out easily and identical in size to the filament to begin with just with the tiny tip that was pulled back from outside the nozzle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 08:52AM by Redemptioner.
December 13, 2018 01:13PM
Nothing stopping you using Triangle labs stuff if that's what you prefer but I think its silly to say E3D haven't contributed anything. The only reason triangle labs can exist is because E3D make their designs publicly available. Also unless you're into spectroscopy or similar I wouldn't make claims about the alloys they use - for all you know its not even titanium!
December 13, 2018 10:51PM
Ed3D
Nothing stopping you using Triangle labs stuff if that's what you prefer but I think its silly to say E3D haven't contributed anything. The only reason triangle labs can exist is because E3D make their designs publicly available. Also unless you're into spectroscopy or similar I wouldn't make claims about the alloys they use - for all you know its not even titanium!

Proof is in the pudding mate, night and day difference in the strength of the material between E3D and many of the Aliexpress traders including Triangle Labs (you can reasonably easily bend a E3D heatbreak by hand when it is in the heatblock assembly) and a pretty good indicator that the material is the grade they are stating.

I am not sure what you are so convinced they have done, they made some small modifications (really just shape changes) to the existing heatblock designs and then made the designs public because, well they modified an existing design and had enough foresight to know that they were never going to get any adoption or have any intellectual property security from keeping the dimensions in-house as the second they sold one any idiot could measure them. They made an extruder with a cover, which is of a poor design and cheap components and doesn't even line the drive gear up with the rest of the filament path and has bearings that fail in a matter of weeks..... a few other things like water-blocks which are super heavy and hardly anyone bothers with as you don't need them unless you plan to run your chamber temps above 90*C. Oh an lets not forget the failed attempts at so called "high end" 3D printers that have less reliability and accuracy then a $200 printer......am I missing something???

I have seen far more design and innovation from my local fitter and turner who has gotten into 3D printing and he has only been going for 6 months.

That is not to say they haven't done anything, they have done a pretty decent job a promoting 3D printing (and themselves) and this can have a significant impact on getting real innovators into the hobby so credit where credit is due, but I doubt they would be doing the same if it was not being done as part of promoting their own brand which is fair enough I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 10:51PM by Redemptioner.
December 20, 2018 10:24AM
I use their E3D-sized blocks. I haven't tried anything better than the usual aliexpress nozzles because they've been good enough so far
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login